New to raising quail

bucfan7273

Hatching
Jul 9, 2016
My wife and I are going to raise quail in a couple of months. We are hoping to get use information by reading and asking alot of questions. So if I ask alot of dumb questions I apologize ahead of time.

We are total newbies and getting our first chicks on Tuesday! Welcome
1f60a.png
Don't be afraid to ask "stupid" questions, we all start somewhere!

Beware of male aggression at the 5 week mark. Have extras of watered, feeder and a box with air (a cardboard box can do in a pinch) for medical or aggression isolation. Poultry wound care meds also good to have on hand. Have fun with it. It is rewarding for the whole family. Boy that sounded negative. Know your birds personalities by spending time with them, it can give you a heads up before something happens sometimes.

Last edited:
I'm going to be hatching quail for the first time. I have chickens, ducks, and turkeys. They are all in separate pens. What do I need to know about quail? Any information would be great

As far as hatching I just did my first hatch. Didn't do anything different than what I have done for chickens or turkeys.

Moved 30 eggs to the hatcher so far have hatched 25 so far.

I'm going to be hatching quail for the first time. I have chickens, ducks, and turkeys. They are all in separate pens. What do I need to know about quail? Any information would be great

Beware of male aggression at the 5 week mark. Have extras of watered, feeder and a box with air (a cardboard box can do in a pinch) for medical or aggression isolation. Poultry wound care meds also good to have on hand. Have fun with it. It is rewarding for the whole family. Boy that sounded negative. Know your birds personalities by spending time with them, it can give you a heads up before something happens sometimes.
eHuman, your right about wound care products, a great one i use is FURALL. It's a sulfa drug, you can get it ar TSC or local feed stores. Mainly for horses but works great on birds and humans.

I'm a chicken girl who is considering buying Coturnix Quail for eggs and meat. I have a big stall in the barn across the aisle from my chickens. It was previously occupied by 2 hens and a rabbit. I cleaned out the bedding which was quite clean. Would you suggest any other means of cleaning up to avoid passing germs from chick to quail? Also, can they be housed in the barn all the time?

Back
Top Bottom