New to Roosters

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mey0018, Jun 21, 2016.

1. mey0018

mey0018 New Egg

Feb 7, 2016
    [​IMG] both rooroos. [​IMG]So maybe I just missed the thread, so if anyone wants just share a link that'd be alright.

I'm new to the whole rooster thing. I got this cool guy from a very nice lady and he's around 6 months old. He seems very nice to my hens and the girls he came with. I have another roo that snuck into the mix, he's the sub and VERY easy to be around. My main guy so far has been very respectfull of my space and scoots away from me when I enter his space. He was friendly with his last family, but I don't particularly care about friendliness, just not being a jerk. Any idea around the time many of them get "roostery"? He's already mating the hens and crowing. I just would like to keep him either subordinate to me, or at least respectful of my space and time with the girls. My hens flock to me when I get out to the coop, and I'do hate for him to try to put me out for taking the girls lol. Does anyone think he may keep this sense of "you do you and I'll take care of me", or will maybe get more aggressive? Sorry for the essay. I just don't know how long it takes for them to realize they are a big boy with dangerous weapons haha.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
  2. ChickenLover200

ChickenLover200 Overrun With Chickens

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    Any rooster I have raisd usually "keeps to himself" and doesn't get mean if that's his personality when he's beginning to crow/already crows. I don't see a major change in attitude toward others once they've already startd crowing.

3. mey0018

mey0018 New Egg

Feb 7, 2016
    Thanks! That's what I was hoping to hear. I love spending time in my coop. Once his spurs grow out I'll probably free range them.

4. ChickenJesus

ChickenJesus Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2015
    Conowingo MD
    I've kind of had the opposite experience. Once you see the discovery channel going in your run, it won't be long before they start being a rooster. I have a number of different setups, a coop with a run which I open during the day that my birds (30+ from this coop) free range all over my property and the neighbor's, as well as a few birds in a 6 acre paddock, they all turn. My kids and wife are the first targets where my roos will start aggressively attacking, and I'm normally a couple months behind. Despite large amounts of land, they want to protect their girls even if they know they will get swift and repeated kicks upon attack. This goes for my tom turkeys too. on the positive side, it is a timer to let me know to start introducing new young blood into the flocks and I know I've got a good meal in the slow cooker coming!!!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
  5. mey0018

mey0018 New Egg

Feb 7, 2016
    it's been discovery Channel every since he's been here. So hopefully I'll have a good boy to protect the flock without seeing us food bringers of awesomeness as a target. Well, that's my hope at least. He's a beautiful boy I'd love to have some chicks from, especially if he remains respectful

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by