New to site and first time to having chickens

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by PattieJ, Jan 4, 2014.

1. PattieJ

PattieJ Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2013
    Australia
    My Coop
    Hi everyone,
    I am new to the site and this is the first time for me to have chickens. I have 4 Isa Browns which I call "the girls". The girls are laying anywhere to 14-18 eggs a week between the four of them. I purchased an explanding fence to keep them off the patio when they are out of the pen area. Now they seem to think that this is something to get over to see what is on the other side. Today I started using the water hose on them and they have went back to the back yard area. Anyone have this type of problem before?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    A tall enough fence is the only way to control where chickens go and don't go. You can train them to come when called by giving them treats when you call, so they associate your call with treats. But you can't train them not to go where you don't want them. And I'd be afraid that turning the hose on them might injure them, besides not being exactly convenient.

3. Cacique500

Cacique500 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2013
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Welcome!

When I let the girls out of the pen I always have a hose ready to go (mostly to wash the poop off the patio). However, there are some large potting containers that they love to jump up in and throw dirt all over the patio, so when they go up into the planter I use the hose *near* them, not on them. They see me reach for the hose and jump out of the planter pretty quickly now.

I've got one hen that likes to jump on top of her run (which means she'd only have to jump another few feet to clear the back fence). I do the same thing with the hose, just aim the stream near her and she immediately jumps off the top of the run.

I think as long as you're not hitting them with the water you should be ok.

4. PattieJ

PattieJ Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2013
    Australia
    My Coop
    Thanks for this! I spray close to them but the last two days I just needed to pick up the hose and they took off. This sounds bad but I would not hurt them for nothing. Their pen area works well because it also has high fencing on the sides and on the top as well. They have lots of running around space as well. The only problem is they think they are supposed to run to the back door on the patio as soon as I let them out. I look at each day as a new experience with them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by