New to site - ill chicken possibly eggbound?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Britcheflee, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Britcheflee

Britcheflee Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2009
    Hi, I am new to this forum and, by no means an expert on chickens so please be patient should I not have all the terms correct when describing our problem at the moment.

We have a small flock of chickens that have been doing very well for the past few years - one particulary aggressive rooster who has us all watching our backs when they are let loose on the property. The others were handled a lot by the kids when young so they can easily be picked up, and, of course although they are not supposed to be as such, the kids have turned them into pets and given them names.
    Well I came back from work today and my young son told me that we needed to clean up one of the hens as she had some 'poop' stuck to her. Turns out that she had part of her intestine, or lower part of inside poking out from her backside. Also lot of staining from more poop on feathers around backside.
    Tried cleaning everything off with warm wet towels and whilst holding her tried to feel from the outside (did not insert anything inside to feel) but could not feel anything wrong. Gently tried to push the extruded part back in but just will not go back,

So, not sure what to do now. She seems ok otherwise but of course I dont want her to suffer, also, sounds cheap but really cannot afford expensive vet visit so would appreciate advice about this - and, should it come to it, advice about quickest and most humane way to put her down if there is no alternative. If it is of any help she is black and I believe an Australorp. Other birds are just fine for the moment.

Many thanks,

Lee

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Oh, and....

[​IMG]

4. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    ddawn said it best! I would also like to welcome you to BYC! [​IMG]
    I hope you have luck with your chicken! [​IMG]I had my first prolapse ever (two of them) last month, and they are both doing fine![​IMG]

5. Britcheflee

Britcheflee Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2009
    Thank you, I am actually going to try the honey idea as suggested on another thread - It is hard not to get attached to them so of course I am most concerned about this.

Thanks for your advice - I will let you know how we get on and post a few pics of the others in due course - plus have some questions about removing spurs on a rooster.

Lee

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by