1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New to site..old to BYH!! Hi!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Emmetts Dairy, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Emmetts Dairy

Emmetts Dairy New Egg

Nov 11, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Hi...new to BYC...old to BYH... I have my first hen who's gone broody. Help!!! [​IMG]

2. redfeather

redfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    Welcome!

I have a hen that's gone broody, and has been broody for months. Still broody even after I let her hatch out a bunch of chicks! Ah well, I am sure you will find someone around here who will tell you how to help "break her up".

3. bantiebabe1200

bantiebabe1200 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    Ennis, Montana
    [​IMG] and [​IMG]

4. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. Take the broody hen and confine her in a wire-bottomed cage, like a rabbit cage, and place that cage up off the ground, so that air can flow up underneath. Provide food and water, but no bedding. Keep her in there for 3-4 days. Then watch what she does. If she goes back to the nest spot, she'll need a few more days in the cage. But if she goes back to hang out with the others, her broodiness in broken. I have even heard of some putting ice in the nest to get her to stop. That, I have never tried. Good luck. [​IMG]

5. AlabamaFarmGuy

AlabamaFarmGuy Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2010
    Dothan Al
    [​IMG] from Alabama

6. BetterHensandGardens

BetterHensandGardens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    Clinton, OH
    [​IMG] - it's a lot busier than BYH!

7. Matthewop

Matthewop New Egg

Nov 13, 2010
  8. Kat's Silly Chickens

Kat's Silly Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    South Central Texas
    [​IMG] And [​IMG] from Texas

9. 2many2count

2many2count Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2010
    Illinois
    [​IMG]
    nice to meet ya [​IMG]
    grab a chair and enjoy [​IMG]

I have a hen that laid one egg went broody so I just put few eggs under her and let her go.....but I have way too many to begin with lol. I was under the thought that if she ever got a batch to hatch she would unbroody herself not sure if fact or not but my thoughts plus I wanna have baby chickies running around again

10. Chickenmenagerie

Chickenmenagerie Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2010
    Central Florida
    [​IMG]
    The wire bottom cage is the only thing that works for me. I've tried ice, and keeping them off the nest all day but a couple of days in the wire bottom cage works everytime!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by