New to the backyard chicken idea.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Chiqui, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Chiqui

Chiqui New Egg

Feb 11, 2015
    We want to raise BYC; we are wanting to know about good breeds for our Florida climate, St. Petersburg to be exact. Is there a place to buy organically grown chicks? Can I ever add chicks or chicken to the group? Do they need to be vaccinated for Mareks?

2. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    [​IMG]
    I don't know if there is any place for you to buy organically raised chicks in Florida since I live in VA. I would get Production reds, Barred Rocks, Buff orpingtons, Wyandottes, or Easter Eggers.

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Organic chicks would be very hard to find. There may be breeders in your area that raise organically but hatcheries won't.
    There are so many great breeds that I'm reluctant to recommend any one but for Florida, I'd go with a Mediterranean breed, Cubalayas, Fayoumis or any breed developed in warm climates.

http://www.sagehenfarmlodi.com/chooks/chooks.html

http://www.albc-usa.org/documents/chickenbreedcomparison.pdf

Mediterranean breeds are anconas, andalusians, Spanish, buttercup, Minorca, empordanesa, penedesenca, leghorn, catalana.

You're right to consider climate first. Starting with a short list of breeds adaptable to your climate will make your life much easier in the long run.
    Definitely stay away from heavy feathered breeds developed in cold climates.
    Many chickens can handle cold but many die from heat.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Chicken Canoe is right - the climate is very important.

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! You might check out the Florida state thread for breeds people in your area have success with, X3 most of the Mediterranean breeds should do fine https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/305793/florida-always-sunny-side-up
    You can add to your flock at a later date, but it does usually take some planning and some time, there is a nice article in the Learning Center on it https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock
    There is a lot of debate on Mareks, I do prefer to have it done or vaccinate them myself, since it is in my area, another nice article from the LC https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined our "flock"

You've received some very good advice already! I'm not sure where you would get organically raised chicks in your area, since I'm not from Florida. I suspect that it would be rather difficult to find some, unfortunately.

In response to your other questions, yes, you can add more chickens to your original flock. I continually add on to my flocks of chickens with no problems. It's almost impossible to not want more birds after you've had a couple![​IMG]` Chickens don't need to be vaccinated for Mareks. However, it is a very good practice that can help prevent deaths in the future. Marek's is a terrible disease that has no treatment, so prevention is definitely better than cure.

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Great links provided by ChickenCanoe and Kelsie.

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined us!

You've received some good advice already.

10. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. My sister and brother-in-law live in Florida, and most breeds and hybrids will do okay in your climate. If egg production is a priority, I would recommend Black Sex Links, which are hardy and friendly, egg laying machines. I've raised them for years (along with dozens of other breeds and hybrids), and they have been my best layers, consistently churning out more than 300 eggs per hen per year. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Whatever breeds or hybrids you decide to get, good luck with your flock.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by