1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New to the backyard chicken world - advice please!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ktown23, Mar 12, 2014.

1. ktown23

ktown23 New Egg

Mar 12, 2014
    Hi everyone --

I am so excited to begin the journey of backyard chickens and urban homesteading. We've had our chickens in a new coop for about 2 weeks now. Two of them are 6mo old Blue Andalusians and two are 8 week old Americanas. They seem to be okay for the most part but we've been wondering a couple things:

1) The younger ones won't always put themselves in the coop at night, it's like they are still afraid of the older ones, though the two older ones (Thelma and Louise) don't even bother the little girls. We've been putting them in ourselves and that's fine, but will they ever learn to go up themselves or will it just be a matter of them maturing?

2) One of the younger girls is very scared, of everything, she is always making these terrified little peeps, she's terrified of the bigger girls, terrified of humans, everything. I had the two in my lap, and one dozed off enjoyed being stroked and the other one was just burrowing her head in my arm. I know she has a long time til she lays eggs but it seems like she is way to scared to even be considering that at any point. Is there anything I can do about this or is it just her adjusting/ was bullied as a chick, since she is smaller that her sister.

Thanks in advance!!

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    1. They'll get used to the fact that the coop is a safe place to sleep and eventually go in on their own.

2. She'll calm down with age. Treats like mealworms will get her to like you more.

3. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    The more you handle her alone the friendlier she will bbecome towarrd humans. Give her some time with just you and her each day and she will come around. Some don't get friendlier until they start to lay, it just depends on her personality. Each one has their own uniquue personality. But do try and handle her just you and her and she's sure to come around. My babies I got for this year are already 7 mo.old and the ones I handled the most are very very friendly. They sleep on my lap and love cuddling. My shyest one is getting more friendly now as she is starting to come into lay. As long as time is spent with them as babies they will be friendly. Just remember each one will always have their own personality. They won't all be the same. Hope this helps and congratulations on your babies. You will find it to be a very rewarding experience. Mine bring so much joy into my life. Watching them change and grow then lay is such a beautiful experience. I think you will agree they sure have a way of stealing your heart! Have fun and enjoy your little ones! Give them time and they will learn to go into the coop.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  4. chris93263

chris93263 Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2013
    you could try leaving the chickens in the coop for 24 hours. Some birds take a while to know where home is. My guineas had to be cooped up for weeks before they found home. They still try to negotiate with me about where home is.

5. ktown23

ktown23 New Egg

Mar 12, 2014
    Thanks for all the advice everyone!! Our chickens are growing and working out all their problems. Two of them are giving us daily delicious eggs and the younger ones should be coming along quite soon!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by