New to the chicken farming and I need help with Roosters?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by RaDean, Aug 14, 2010.

1. RaDean

RaDean Hatching

Aug 14, 2010
    We started out with 6 chicks. One was attacked by a dog and two other ones just died and they have a lot of there feathers pecked out. The three that lived all turned out to be Roosters. I traded one Rooster for a hen, So now I have only two Roosters.

Every morning when I go out to feed my small rooster attackes my hen he pulls her tail feathers out. Can anyone tell me why he is doing that?

Does anyone know if roosters will kill hens at a younger age? I just can't figure out why my other two chickens died, they were only about 4 months old.

To all who can help.... Thank You!

RaDean [​IMG]

2. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Songster

Your best bet would be to have only one roo (pick the one that you like the personality best) and 6-10 more hens.

Sorry I can't tell you why your birds just up and died. [​IMG]

Good luck.

... and [​IMG]

3. AKsmama

AKsmama Songster

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    Like maddiesmom said, you need several more hens to divide his attention, so to speak. The general rule is 8-10 hens per rooster. Otherwise he is just going to pick on her until he severely hurts her. That's no way for your hen to live. As far as why he's doing it- well, that's what roosters do. They breed and protect the flock, but in your rooster's case, he doesn't have much of a flock to do either one with. Either get rid of the roosters or add more hens.

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    One roo for every 10 hens.

... or no roo at all unless you want babies or you need a roo for flock protection...

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    [​IMG]

How old are these birds?

What are you feeding them and how much? Sometimes feather picking is due to low protein levels or not enough feed. Overcrowding can also cause it.

Yes, you need about 10 hens per roosters and young roosters are quite rude at times! Most get over it as they mature.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If you are limited in the number of chickens that you can keep, keep only hens. Two roosters and one hen will never work. It's unfair to the hen, and the roosters may injure or kill her or one another. One rooster to 10 hens or all hens will work best.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by