New to the chicken game!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by glass, Nov 5, 2013.

1. glass

glass Out Of The Brooder

Whats up everyone im 22 years old from California, my neighbor helped me finish up my chicken coop last week 15ft by 15ft. This weekend I will be going to the local chicken farmer to go choose my first set of chickens ever!!!! Any recommendations on what would be some good beginner chickens? Ive been caring for my uncles Dominique rooster and hen for the past month, and now Im ready to get some of my own!! will be doing some serious searching on this page this week.

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] That sounds like a huge coop does that include the outdoor run as well?

4. MinisOhMy

MinisOhMy Out Of The Brooder

I would recommended some orphingtons if they are available. They are docile and Hardy. :) oh also speckled Sussex are wonderful birds! Very friendly in my experience, with a broody tendency.

5. chickenboy190

chickenboy190 Overrun With Chickens

May 31, 2013
    Ohio
    Welcome! Glad you joined BYC! :~D

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC! I always like red sex links for brown egg layers, my favorite big breeds for pretty are Speckled Sussex and Blue Laced Red Wyandottes. Check out the BYC Breeds section for reviews of a lot of breeds. Hendersons Chicken Breed chart compares a lot of common breeds. http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html#j

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  7. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    [​IMG]

8. All Henned Up

All Henned Up Muffs or Tufts

Welcome and enjoy!
    Steve, :frow

9. AK Baha

AK Baha Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Anchorage, Alaska.
    [​IMG]

10. cypressdrake

cypressdrake Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2012
    Thibodaux, Louisiana.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Sounds like a nice size coop, You can house lot's of chickens in 15x15. I was wondering if this include the run/yard? For starters the dominique's are good layers. There is a lot of good breeds for eggs that would be good.

My favorite egg laying breeds are Buff Orpingtons, Wyandotte, Plymouth Rocks, Delawares, and Rhode Island Reds,

Hybirds would be Golden Comets, or Red Sex Links, These breeds are all brown egg layers.

Best of luck with your upcoming flock. Dan.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by