New to the chicken lifestyle

Chixenman1382

In the Brooder
May 2, 2017
Hello my name is Casey and I am new to raising chickens. I have 5 known hens 4 white leg horns and 1 tetra brown. I Started with 6 each but ya know it's a learning process. They are approximately 10 weeks old. Looking for a rooster I obtained 7 more chicks 6 Rhode island reds and 1 Easter eager who are 4 weeks old. Also 3 known roosters black star sex link who are 6 weeks old. All chick's are together and doing well. They are in a large coup and are free range tho I do keep the smaller chicks inside. My goal is to narrow the flock to only hens and one rooster. It appears that besides the known hens of the 7 unknown 3 or 4 I think are hens. Some of them have larger crests and appear to be already getting wattles. Having said all of this I am open to advice on any matter but mainly wondering if I kept black star as my rooster with them being RIR crosses would they be able to fertilize the RIR eggs? My main goal is egg production but wouldn't mind breeding time to time. Thank you for reading. Thank you in advance for your advice.

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC, Casey! Chickens are chickens, breeds mix all the time.

If you like, please post pictures in the What Breed or Gender is this? forum. There we should be able to help you out with the genders.

It's great to have you with us!
smile.png

Welcome to BYC, Casey! Chickens are chickens, breeds mix all the time.

If you like, please post pictures in the What Breed or Gender is this? forum. There we should be able to help you out with the genders.

It's great to have you with us! :)

:welcome Casey!
It's always great to meet a fellow poultry enthusiast here on BYC! :D
×2 to @TheKindaFarmGal. If it's a rooster, no matter size or breed, he'll get the job done. ;)
:jumpy Wings of Wishes, :jumpy
~Sarah

Roosters will usually breed with anything that can't escape them. Some people especially enjoy the surprise of mixed chicken breed chicks.
welcome-byc.gif

Hello from Australia. I have just embarked on a chicken adventure with 2 hens and a rooster. I believed the rooster would be ruling the roost but one of the hens is definately the boss, chasing the others and putting them in their place. Is this normal and will the rooster take control as he gets older (they are all pretty young)

G’Day from down under Casey
frow.gif
Welcome!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out
wink.png

Hello from Australia. I have just embarked on a chicken adventure with 2 hens and a rooster. I believed the rooster would be ruling the roost but one of the hens is definately the boss, chasing the others and putting them in their place. Is this normal and will the rooster take control as he gets older (they are all pretty young)

Howdy ozzyhen .. Sorry, I have no rooster experience so can not answer your question. However, I notice that you have asked a question at the end of a fellow members introduction. I totally understand that BYC can be a little tricky to navigate in the beginning and thought that I might give you a bit of a hand if that is OK.

You might want to 'Start Your Own Thread' in the New Members Forum, tell us a little bit about yourself and your flock, give us all a chance to greet you 'officially'.

Alternatively, if you go to Forum at the top > Raising BackYard Chickens > Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying, you could start a thread and ask your question.

Best wishes!

Back
Top Bottom