1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New to the chicken raising game...not sure if I've got a chicken or a rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by AlexandraJanet, May 11, 2016.

1. AlexandraJanet

AlexandraJanet New Egg

May 11, 2016
    Hello,

I'm new to chicken raising and boy oh boy is it addicting! I have 4 six week old hens (hopefully) that are finally outside happy and healthy! My Silver Laced Wyandotte is looking rather roostery and I was hoping to gain some insight from veteran chicken raisers as to whether its a pullet or a roo!? What does everyone think?[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 0wen

0wen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2016
    Southwest Virginia
    Quote: 100% guarantee that you have a chicken - you can quote me on that! ;)

The wyandotte looks like a pullet to me, but s/he is still a bit young. Give it a couple of weeks and they should literally, start to show their true colors via wattles and comb starting to turn a deeper pink/red if it's a roo...

3. AlexandraJanet

AlexandraJanet New Egg

May 11, 2016
    Haha oops! Well thank goodness they are chickens! [​IMG] Thanks for the reply! I'm crossing my fingers for pullet!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by