New to The chicken worl

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Bluegrass Chick, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Bluegrass Chick

Bluegrass Chick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky
    Hi everyone, Like the title says I am a proud new member of the chicken world. I have wanted to raise chickens for about 5 yrs now, but i dont own my own house. Until now, we are waiting for the renovations to be done and we will be moving in soon. So for me that means i can finally have some feathered babies!!! Not only was I wanting some chickens for pets but I also want the added benifit of fresh eggs.
    Thanks to a friend who raises bantams, and more recently Heavies, I got 3 chicks to start out until we are officially moved and i can get some more. I am more intereseted in the Heavy breeds, but she had some bantams that were just so cute! So i got 2 bantams and a Dominque, the two bantams were an unknown breed, she believed the one was a Serama which unfortunately passed away the other night. The other one is fine and so is the Dominque(Angel), so i do not know what caused the loss of the Serama, which broke my heart. But i am still determined to raise the two i have now and how ever many more i get once we get moved, into healthy chickens. I am considering some Red Stars, maybe some Brahmas, but I still want some Buff Orpingtons which were my first choice but she didnt have any.
    I was wanting some advice on how to socialize them well and make them good pets, I have had them for about 2 weeks now and I get them out daily and let them roam around the house(with supervision of course). I still feel has if I am not doing enough.

2. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG]

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

4. g2smil

g2smil Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    Welcome to BYC from Northern Virginia! Hope you enjoy your chicks!

5. Bluegrass Chick

Bluegrass Chick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky
    Thank you guys [​IMG]

6. Fluffballs

Fluffballs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2012
    With my chickies!
    So sorry about your little banty. [​IMG] Welcome to the wonderful world of chickens and to BYC!

7. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Ohio....glad you joined us. I do the same thing with my new chicks,,,, just spend time with them. Mine are bantam cochins and are very people friendly. Sounds like you are doing very well with them. Good luck

8. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

9. dreamer5577

dreamer5577 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Hi & Welcome!!
    [​IMG]

10. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio, so glad you joined. :thumbsup

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by