New to the chicken world and there's lots and lots of questions.

Serena303

Hatching
7 Years
Jan 4, 2013
I haven't had a chance to navigate through the site yet to see if these questions have been answered.

I've been contemplating building a coop and raising a few chickens for a couple months now. Not sure if I've lot my mind or what but, here are a couple questions regarding building a habitat that works for our lifestyle while providing a nice little egg making sanctuary for the chickens.

Is there any concern with having the coop primarily in the shade during the winter months when the temp can drop below zero?

Do retractable fences actually work?
What is the shortest ideal height for sectioning off a area in the yard?

What are the best egg Laying cold hardy breeds? (our summers get pretty hot)

Any random tips, do's & don't or advise is greatly appreciated?

Thanks! Hopefully this will turn out to be everything I hope it could be!

:welcome Glad you joined. BYC has a lot of answers to your questions, but I can answer a few.

I think Australorps are hardy and lay well. I have one and she is still laying. She also had a very quick molt which is good and picked right back up afterwords.

Putting Apple Cider Vinegar in your chickens drinking water helps them a lot. Also keeping you coop clean and using a mite and lice dust in the coop after you clean it help prevent parasites.

frow.gif
and
welcome-byc.gif
You will find lots of help here on BYC.

Great! Thanks for the tips! :)

I just started looking though the site and whoa, there's so much information! Glad I came across this webite.

Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

Visit the Learning Center above for lots of good info.

Chickens are more cold hardy and less heat tolerant, so plan your coop to take advantage of summer shade.

Basque chickens (Euskal Oiloa) are very heat tolerant, and do fine in cold weather too. They are also very good layers of large brown eggs.

Back
Top Bottom