New to the chicken world, have a few questions.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by cityturncountry, Mar 20, 2015.

1. cityturncountry

cityturncountry Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2015
    I took a dive and ordered chicks from a reputable hatchery. I am picking them up on April 30th.
    I'm making a coop out of my daughters old little tikes house. The big question I have now is what do I do with the floor of the run? I'll include a picture of where the run is going. It already has a chain link fence around it that we will be adding onto it to make it predator proof. Do I scrape all the grass? Can I just put them in the grass until it gets destroyed? I was wanting to do a sand run/coop for cleanliness. I am going to let them out of the run to free range when I am outside with them. I want to get started right away so that when the chicks come I can enjoy them being little and not worry about their housing.

2. cityturncountry

cityturncountry Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2015
    Pictures aren't uploading for some reason. :(

3. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Overrun With Chickens

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    When our were old enough we put them out on the grass. The grass didn't last long. [​IMG] Our run is very large and on a slope so we never put anything down. It is just bare dirt. Inside the coop they have deep shavings.

[​IMG] Enjoy your chicks and I hope you get lots of advice. Many times there are no right or wrong ways to bring up chickens, just what works best for you.

4. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Overrun With Chickens

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    It seems like when I started you had to post 5 or 10 times before you were allowed to up load a picture. Keep chatting![​IMG]

5. WCHomestead

WCHomestead Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2014
    East Tennessee
    I had grass and they loved it so therefore it is gone! We have dirt with straw on the ground and just like Puddin Fluff we have deep shavings in the coop. We have two runs, one on each side of the coop with one being 18x18 and one being 18x16.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

The red buckets inside are food and water and the blue barrel up high is also water. We normally have two 5 gallon buckets for food.
    Good luck and have fun!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by