new to the chicken world! Help!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BruutalPoodle, Mar 29, 2015.

1. BruutalPoodle

BruutalPoodle Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2015
    South Georgia
    I recently picked up six pullets from TSC by demand of my wife. I'm currently in the process of building their coop and it dawned on me that I have no idea what breed they are. I need some help guys and gals! [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    Hi & [​IMG]! How old are your chicks? Maybe they are something else but, they look like they could be Cornish X which is a meat bird, not a egg layer. If you go to www.tractorsupply.com their website has a link to ordering chicks and it list the breeds they offer with pictures of what adult and chicks of each breed looks like.

3. BruutalPoodle

Mar 22, 2015
    South Georgia
    Thank you for your help even though the news comes as a disappointment lol the employee who assisted us at TSC said they were egg laying pullets and I don't know any better. This is all very new to me.

4. Annjee

Annjee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2015
    Lancaster, Pa
    I would go in if you can to see what bin they came from. That is a big difference. Also, they are pretty good about correcting mistake, in my experience.

5. BruutalPoodle

Mar 22, 2015
    South Georgia
    I just wonder what they do with them if I return them

6. Annjee

Annjee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2015
    Lancaster, Pa
    They consider them "agriculture" so it shouldn't be like a pet shop.

7. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Our TSC won't take back chicks, but if you have your reciept and got the wrong breed, they will either refund your money or send you home with new chicks.

8. BruutalPoodle

Mar 22, 2015
    South Georgia
    Thank you guys for all the feedback. I guess when I know for sure what they are I'll try to sell them and get more. I just found out about a local livestock and poultry auction. I don't know anything about them really I just want some cool looking friendly chickens with good eggs. I'm trying to learn as much as I can as fast as I can but there is so much to intake. I had no idea how much there is to the chicken world lol

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    They might be White Rocks.

10. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    They look like White Plymouth Rocks to me (but could be Cornish X).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by