new to the chicken world pallet coop in progress!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by dmcdevin, Mar 16, 2015.

1. dmcdevin

dmcdevin New Egg

Feb 25, 2015
    This is our first experience with the chicken scene so I'm kind of learning as I go. We picked up 10 chicks a little over a month ago and boy do those little things grow fast! I have been working on their coop for a few days now and so far it seems to be coming together pretty nicely. Still have a ways to go but need to get it finished so I can get them in their new home! Their totes seem like they are slowly shrinking in around them! Figured I would post on here to try and get some ideas on what to use for floor covering. I have read thru the numerous threads on here debating what is best but there are just some many different ones its hard to come to a conclusion. It will be a plain dirt floor covered with hardware cloth but not sure what to put on top of that. Deep litter? Sand? Pea gravel? Still undecided on that part. But anyways any input would be much appreciated! Now onto some pictures!

2. dmcdevin

dmcdevin New Egg

Feb 25, 2015
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Chickenshoe

Chickenshoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2015
    what part of the USA you live? climate has a lot to do with materials used...

4. dmcdevin

dmcdevin New Egg

Feb 25, 2015
    Oklahoma sorry guess it would have been helpful to know that

5. Chickenshoe

Chickenshoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2015
    ok, guessed that from your pics... that been said...you should not have a problem with extreme temps like here in the north east.. meaning in extreme climates= lower roofs, structure lower to ground to avoid floor freeze and drafts. make sure they stay dry and same from predators.. look at plans on line relating to inside layouts... again, make sure they are safe in the house,,no holes, otherwise they will get eaten

6. ldalton

ldalton Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2015
    Knoxville, TN
    What a great idea! We will be in need of a bigger coop this summer - I will be watching to see how it turns out.

7. dmcdevin

dmcdevin New Egg

Feb 25, 2015
    Oh we most definitely will be going above and beyond to predator proof the place. I plan on making some siding out of so 1x4s off some of the free pallets I have access to. I want to get the entire structure completed and sealed up then I will figure out my setup on the inside after I see what the end product I will be working with is.
    We are keeping our fingers crossed hoping it all works out! So far so good tho!

8. dmcdevin

dmcdevin New Egg

Feb 25, 2015
    Finally dried up enough around here to get some more progress made on the coop should hopefully have the metal on the roof tomorrow if all goes well

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. PapaChaz

PapaChaz Overrun With Chickens

May 25, 2010
    NW Georgia
    wow that's looking awesome! great job, can't wait to see it finished!

10. dmcdevin

dmcdevin New Egg

Feb 25, 2015
    Haven't gotten a whole lot done here lately but I did manage to get the roof on it. Now to just get it all closed in and predator proofed![​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by