New to the chicken world! What breed are my yellow chicks?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by hidekumo, Mar 4, 2017.

1. hidekumo

hidekumo Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2017
    Hello! After a whole year my husband finally agreed to haul a discounted chicken coop from Tractor Supply 2 weeks ago. I was busy getting supplies, checking books from library, and reading from NYC! Two days ago the whole family went back to Tractor Supply to pick up 2 gold sex link, 2 black sex link, and 2 Dominique. After spending some time reading, I wasn't too sure what we got. The bin labeling Dominique was filled with light yellow color chicks with white wings, not the dark black color chicks I've seen from the books. What breed are they?? They were 4 days old when I first took the photos. Sorry if they are not too clear, I'll take more tomorrow. My husband is thinking of going back to Tractor Supply to ask. [​IMG][/IMG]

2. hidekumo

Mar 4, 2017
    Sorry didn't know how to post photos. Thought I did.

[​IMG][​IMG]

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - congrats on your new little flock. Sorry, I am not sure if its possible to identify the breed at such a young age. You can still try posting on the gender / breed thread and see what the experts say - https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this. This link may be helpful to you at moment - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/raising-your-baby-chicks

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread#post_3239224

All the best
    CT

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community! I agree with CTKen - they seem a little young to ID quite yet. Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!!!

5. N F C

N F C Happy T-Day! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Hope you're enjoying the little ones!

6. hidekumo

Mar 4, 2017
    Thanks for the feedback. They are so cute. My girl absolutely adores them! Yes, I sorta thought we needed to live with the uncertainty for a while. But do you all agree the light yellow ones should not be Dominique?

7. N F C

N F C Happy T-Day! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    I agree...the yellow ones are not Dominiques.

As pictured on MyPetChicken, these are Dominique chicks:
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. whoop whoop

whoop whoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2015
    Rainbow Nation
    Welcome to BYC - whatever the chicks are, they are very cute -once they grow a bit biggertry the thread CTKen gave you it is very helpful

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    About 6-8 weeks of age, when the chicks have feathered out is probably the best time to post photos at "what breed or gender is this."

10. hidekumo

Mar 4, 2017
    My husband just called Tractor Supply. The staff apologized for mislabeling and said the light yellow chicks are "Asian straight run" instead of Dominique pullets. I can't seem to find any breed with such name or any information. Should we take the chance just keep them? Are they considered docile, children friendly? Any help would e appreciated!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by