New to the chicken world!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by deadeyejedi, Jan 4, 2017.

1. deadeyejedi

deadeyejedi Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2017
    saratoga springs ny
    Hi everyone glad to be a member . Raised up 24 chicks my brother hatched out for me mid July ended up with 9 hens and 15 roosters ( just my luck)as it stands I have three roosters left got kind of attached to them not sure what to do yet . Hens have been laying for a few weeks now and sometimes get 7 eggs a day . Pretty good for northern New York!

2. NordicChick

NordicChick Just Hatched

Jan 4, 2017
    North Central Texas
    Welcome to BYC! I am new here as well and looking forward to learning lots! Wow, 7 out of 9 still laying this time of year... In N. New York?! That's awesome! Which breed of chicken are they? Regarding the extra roosters, if they get along well enough, no reason you can't keep 'em. If not, or if the hens start hiding out on the roosts all day, then you may want to consider keeping just the one or two Roos that you're most attached to.

1 person likes this.
  3. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG] I am glad you joined us! (Both of you! [​IMG]) 7 eggs out of 9 hens? That is great! I have 27 chickens, (26 hens, 1 rooster), and I usually get 15 to 24 eggs a day! I hope you enjoy BYC, best wishes!

4. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under deadeyejedi and NordicChick [​IMG] Welcome!

I hope you both enjoy BYC. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, deadeyejedi, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our flock! You still might be a little heavy on the rooster to hen ratio. Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC! [​IMG]

6. deadeyejedi

Jan 4, 2017
    saratoga springs ny
    Thanks everyone all the chickens are mixed breed my brother expirements with but a few have lots of bard Rock in them a couple are mostly red but really no idea . One rooster has lots of feathers on his legs :) I'll post some pics when I figure out how

7. olsenfamily

olsenfamily New Egg

Jan 4, 2017
    We are planning on getting about 5 baby chicks soon. At what age do you know for sure that none will be a rooster. We can't have rooster in my neighborhood.

8. deadeyejedi

Jan 4, 2017
    saratoga springs ny
    My brother sorted mine out after about 10 weeks but I couldn't tell. you do have some time before they start crowing and irritating the neighbors :( my three rosters crow all hours of the day and night !

9. deadeyejedi

Jan 4, 2017
    saratoga springs ny
    just a couple pics of what i have all mixed breed maybe someone more expierienced could chime in to what breeds they mostly are..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! You may want to start your own thread to avoid "hijacking" this one. The age of gender differentiation depends on a lot of things -- "sex link" hybrids and "auto-sexing" breeds are able to be sexed at hatch due to distinct differences between male and female chicks. Non auto-sexing/sex linked breeds are able to be "vent sexed" with 85-90% accuracy by experienced sexers as day old birds (this is what you get when you order sexed birds from a hatchery or retail store that ordered from a hatchery - birds that have been examined by a "sexer" and determined to likely be male or female). Some breeds have adult plumage that is distinct between the sexes making it possible to know male from female as the chicks begin to feather in - around 3-4 weeks --- an example being breeds where the female has a salmon colored breast and males have black breast plumage such as the Welsummer, Brown Leghorn, etc. For breeds where there are not such differences, it is generally at the 6-10 week mark when it becomes fairly easy to guess - though some breeds, such as silkies, can take months to be sure of gender. Gender identification is something that becomes easier with experience - so someone who has been raising birds for years may be able to tell at 4 weeks what an inexperienced person is only able to see at 12 weeks or more.
    If you absolutely want no risk of having an oops roo (getting one is not a big deal - you can simply re-home or process them) then getting sex linked birds, auto sexing birds or birds that have reached the 12+ week mark where gender is obvious are going to be the best options for you. It is a good idea to study up for your own knowledge once you know what breeds you like so that you don't fall prey to an unscrupulous or uneducated seller who may sell you a "guaranteed pullet" that is a cockerel.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by