1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New to the chicken world

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by LoDoSilkies, Jul 17, 2011.

1. LoDoSilkies

LoDoSilkies Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2011
    (1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

Pretty new to chickens! DH and I are the building managers, and the idjits moved out and left behind these 4 birds. We weren't sure WHAT they were, so we had some fun figuring that out. Found out they are Silkie chickens, all 4 are hens, and they were apparently raised inside, and think they are inside pets. We took them outside in the shade and in a dog x-pen, and they thought the grass was going to eat them. [​IMG] So now they are inside, they have run of the bathroom when we aren't home, then they come out in their diapers to hang with DH and me when we are home. Then at bedtime, they go to their dog crate and snuggle up to sleep.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

4 hens, and that's ALL.

(3) What breeds do you have?

Silkies

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?

Poking around on the internet

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

Running, biking, people watching, sports.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

DH works for the US Mint, I work for an aquarium in their big cat area. We have 3 retired racing greyhounds, a bossy Oriental Shorthair and a loudmouth Siamese. All of them think the chickens are scary and mean, and do not dare touch a chicken. Can't say we ever figured we'd have pet chickens, but they are fun little birds, so we'll keep 'em.

2. Darlasmum

Darlasmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2009
    La Crescenta, CA
    [​IMG] from So Cal. I cant believe these pets (figuring so if they were inside birds) were abandoned. So sad. They will come to love the grass and scratching around. Glad you found us...make the search button your friend. and good luck!

3. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    A big Texas-sized [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. LoDoSilkies

LoDoSilkies Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2011
    Thanks!

Right now, they have a covered round cat box that we put play sand in. They like to get in that and dust bathe some. I've not seen them, but I've found the sand on the floor, so they are doing SOMETHING with the sand. We've got a bunch of wheatgrass growing for the cats, and they will pick at that, but they aren't fans of anything other than solid flooring under their feet.

Got me on how the idjits kept them, we never heard them inside or saw them before, so there is not much known about them. The vet thinks they are younger adults, otherwise healthy. All hens because we have gotten eggs from all of them.

We haven't decided if they are cute or so ugly they are cute. But they are funny little birds, and they aren't causing us problems, so we are liking them pretty well.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

6. Leia's Chickens

Leia's Chickens A Sunkissed Delight

Jun 20, 2010
    Oklahoma!
    [​IMG]

7. bawkbawkbawk

bawkbawkbawk Chillin' With My Peeps

What great accidental chicken people you are! [​IMG] So nice that you had them checked out by the vet, etc.

You will discover that Silkies are highly prized - I just got my first Silkie chick and am so excited about her!

Re the sand: chickens love to dust bathe, so they might have used it for that; or maybe they were using it for grit? Hopefully the vet told you that they must have grit to digest their food since chickens don't have stomachs.

8. Cadjien_De_Louisiane

Cadjien_De_Louisiane SWLA Gamefowl Breeder

Apr 18, 2011
    Welsh, LA
    Welcome to BYC

9. Lady Chickadee

Lady Chickadee Rocky Top Silkies

Apr 1, 2011
    Central Kentucky
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

10. chi-rn

chi-rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    What a fun way to be introduced to chickens! You might not be able to stop!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by