New to The Chicken World

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by parkerchick6, Oct 14, 2013.

1. parkerchick6

parkerchick6 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2013
    Hello everyone,
    i am new to backyard chickens and would love some input.I am planning on starting a small coop (2-3) and am unsure which types of chickens to get. I live in Wisconsin so we have very cold winters. i would also like chickens that would let my small children hold and pet them. I have been doing lot of research and have been getting mixed reviews. Please give me your input and any other advice you have for a starting and maintaining a healthy flock. Thanks so much.!!!

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Does egg color matter?

I would start with as many as you are allowed by law and you can afford to house. No matter how many you start with, you'll want more later - especially when you have fresh delicious eggs in your backyard.
    Several reasons:
    It's a bummer to have to buy eggs when you've done that much work.
    Chickens die more often than dogs.
    It is much harder to add to an existing flock. Birds that grow up together get along much better.

Many of the breeds you'll consider were developed in cold climates without heat so I wouldn't sweat the cold.

Brown eggs: Chantecler, Buckeye, Orpington, Jersey Giant, Wyandotte, Welsummer, Plymouth Rock

White eggs: Holland, Minorca, Dorking, Ancona

green/blue eggs: Ameraucana
    Personal favorites from the above list are Jersey Giants, Welsummers and Minorcas

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  3. BrendaJ

BrendaJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    Oregon
    Hello from Oregon & welcome to BYC. There are lots of great breeds to choose from. You don't have to pick just one. I love having a mixed flock - the variety is great. Chickens are pretty addicting so be prepared to have intension to start small but it will change ( chicken math ) . It depends on how big your coop/run is. You don't want to over crowd. Make sure you have a nice coop with good ventilation & predator proof run. Keep things cleaned to help prevent disease. There is great info in the learning tabs above. Best of luck & post pics [​IMG]

4. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
  5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Visit the Learning Center for articles on picking breeds, raising chicks, maintaining a healthy flock and much more. Enjoy the site!

6. AK Baha

AK Baha Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Anchorage, Alaska.
    [​IMG]

7. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG] Happy you joined!

9. All Henned Up

All Henned Up Muffs or Tufts

Look for a breed that have a small comb and small wattles, they get frost bite easy if too large. Some breed say cold hardy but then have a large comb that dose not do well in below freezing temps.
    Welcome and enjoy!
    Steve[​IMG]

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] It's hard to say which chickens would let your small children hold and pet them. But, if you start out with baby chicks and spend a lot of time around them they may get fairly tame, especially when they are older and you can give them treats. There can be problems both ways with children and chicks. Children get excited and may squeeze chicks too hard or not be able to hold on to frisky chicks and they fall and get injured or worse. On the other side chicks are attracted to shiny things like eyes. They don't have hands so they try out everything by pecking. They can cause a lot of damage to eyes and face out of curiosity. You might want to have goggles on your kids when they are around chickens.

If any of your chicks develop into roosters that is another hazard. Rooster's protect their flock and may consider children and adults as a danger and attack them. A lot of roosters end up in the stew pot because of aggression.

As a rule silkies are a favorite among kids and adults - generally docile but are not robust nor good layers. They do seem to take well to being housepets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by