new to the chicken world

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Hollylou, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Hollylou

Hollylou New Egg

Mar 11, 2014
    Hi I am just getting ready to start a coop and start raising chickens. Any tips ideas or comments tohelp me get started. Like the best laying hens etc???

2. petrel

petrel Chats with Chickens

Welcome to BYC and "the chicken world" You are gonna have so much fun!

You've come to the right place to start. I'd recommend taking a look at the breeds section to start your flock selection process. Take your time, there are some really interesting, productive, and beautiful bird options. Henderson's breed chart is a useful resource as well.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

You might want to do some reading in our learning center. Lots of good reads on building the coop, breeds, raising your new babies, feeding and keeping the flock healthy....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Great to have you aboard and enjoy your new chicken adventures!

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X2 on the Learning Center and for figuring out what breeds you want, besides the member reviews in the breed section, the Henderson chicken breed chart compares a lot of popular breeds http://www.sagehenfarmlodi.com/chooks/chooks.html It does depend on what you want hens for, if mostly for eggs and you are going to replace your flock every couple of years when they slow down egg laying, or if you are also looking at them as pets and will keep them long term. If you have weather extremes where you love you will probably want to take comb types into consideration, especially for winter hardiness. If you are looking just at the number of eggs, the various commercial Red Sex Links (they go by different names depending on the hatchery, Red Stars, Golden Comets, ISA Browns etc) for brown eggs, and the White Leghorns for white eggs are probably the most popular choices. Some popular brown egg layers that don't lay quite as well but usually will lay over a longer period of time and are popular starting breeds are Sussex, Wyandottes, Orpintons, Delawares, Australorps and Plymouth Rocks. For white eggs, the various colored Leghorns, Ancona and Minorcas and for a colorful egg basket Easter Eggers / Ameraucana for blue/green eggs and Welsummers or Marans for dark brown eggs.

5. Branch Chickens

Branch Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2014
    China, Maine
    Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens has been my handbook around this house during this chicken preparation phase.
    Also, the forums here on BYC.
    MyPetChicken.com is another great resource for getting a quick run-down on individual breeds. That's where I did some of my research before ordering.
    [​IMG]

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. Define your needs and choose breeds that will fulfill those needs.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

8. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Welcome to the site! Make sure to check out the Learning Center and ask any question you need to!

9. cstronks

cstronks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2013
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC! Check out the coops page to get ideas about how you will build and design your coop. Depending on your climate and surroundings you may want to add or remove some features. I'm in Northern NJ and I insulate my coop, but somebody in the south would opt not to. Also, great layers are almost always hybrids and sex-links, but there are some great heritage layers too. While they can't keep up perfectly with hybrids, they will lay for much longer periods and have much fewer health problems in comparison. You'll have to do some research and determine which type of bird is best. Good luck to you!

10. Hollylou

Hollylou New Egg

Mar 11, 2014
    SO Hybrids and Sex Link chickens are the best is what I have heard from 2 so far. I will research them. I am getting excited to start my coop. I have a design in mind and I got it off of this site. It is Mama Aflecks design that looks like a little house with the front porch and all. I love that one. Thanks for welcoming me a board to everyone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by