New to the chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by WhiteChickens118, Sep 17, 2011.

1. WhiteChickens118

WhiteChickens118 New Egg

Sep 17, 2011
    My name is Matt I live in NC with my wife, 2 kids, 2 cats and a dog. We are out at the coast about 5 miles from the beach and we are about to get some chickens for eggs, and because my wife likes chickens. I'm very crafty with wood and such so I will be building a coop and nesting box, I am worried about one of our cats he's a hunter for sure. Anyone think the cat will bother the chickens? I plan on building a closed in pen for them about 10' square for 4 chickens. I would like to get as much info on feed, trying to feed them natural feed I don't like any chemicals in my food. I did grown up on a farm and we had chickens but only for food not eggs. Looking forward to hearing from you guys.

-Matt

2. goldies99

goldies99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    hi matt......you could have this problem with your cat!!!....when they were babies the kitty could not be trusted!!!
    but now it is not a problem...good luck with your chicks!!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  3. DawnCols

DawnCols Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    [​IMG]

4. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. Once my chickens were big, my cats never bother the chickens. [​IMG]

5. Nic&Chickies

Nic&Chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    New Britain, CT
    [​IMG] from Connecticut! I have various relatives in N. C. (Uncle in Charlotte, ex-BIL in High Point) but I've never been there.
    You wrote
    Anyone think the cat will bother the chickens? I plan on building a closed in pen for them about 10' square for 4 chickens.

My answer: Yes, I do think so. And maybe the other pets, too. Some will be just fine, but this is a case where "Better safe than sorry" is in order. Cats are notorious for going after any bird, and some dogs have a "high prey drive", a concept I learned on BYC --but others will be very protective.
    My chickens are my only pets ('cept a few fish), so I don't know how myself, but I'm sure others on here will let you know how to introduce prior pets to new chickens.​

6. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    [​IMG]
    Unfortunately, I have the neighbor's cats on my property all the time (don't get me wrong--I love cats, even have one IN THE HOUSE), they dont seem to bother the chickens, but they make my dog go crazy (although he has no problem with the cat he shares the house with!).

7. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from WA. glad you joined us [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Hello [​IMG] and welcome to BYC [​IMG] from Hesperia, Ca

9. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana!!

10. MSDeb

MSDeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC Matt. We have dogs, cats, chickens and the usual predators hawks, coons, and foxes. Our chicken pen has tall sides (kennel fencing) and bird netting on the top and the coop is inside the pen. Our cats have never gone to the trouble of breaking into the pen but a raccoon did once.

We lost two chickens last year when they were free ranging, one to our dog and one to a hawk and we had a near miss with a chicken that was mauled by the coon. Hard lessons for sure but that seems to be what makes us all better chicken keepers. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by