1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New to the club

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Jbull, Mar 16, 2016.

1. Jbull

Jbull Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2016
    Huntsville, Texas
    Hello all!
    I'm new to raising chickens but not to agriculture. My family and I live on some property in East Texas where my wife and I raise cows and kids. I wanted to get started in chickens a long time ago, but my wife fought me on it after her bad experience around them when she interned with Sanderson Farms (long story). Anyway, I was finally able to force her hand into it because my daughter was sent home with 4 chicks from a project there (4th grade). We had a converted horse stall in the barn that she'd used to imprint some French Toulouse goslings last year, so the chicks went into there. Thus beginning my journey into the world of raising chickens. I went ahead and built a hen house/coop. It's been an interesting run thus far. All four original chicks turned out to be roosters!! I've since purchased (5) 20 week old production reds and have (8) chicks started in the barn pen. Looking forward to learning more!
    I'll post my coop project as soon as I figure out how.

2. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] what bad luck! Glad you got some hens, good luck with your chicken adventures.

3. Jbull

Jbull Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2016
    Huntsville, Texas
    Thanks! I'm enjoying it!!

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Flock Master Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I think every school hatching project ends up with nothing but roosters. Oh well.....Glad you joined the Backyard chickens flock [​IMG]

6. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - glad to have you onboard.

CT

7. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Fore!
    [​IMG]

If you'd like to 'meet' other Texans, just go to the Search box and enter Texas...your state thread should pop up. It can be handy and fun to know others that are more local to you.

Good luck with your flock, thanks for joining us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by