New To The Community - in Central Connecticut

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by kristofandmama, Mar 16, 2015.

1. kristofandmama

kristofandmama Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2015
    I'm just entering the world of chicken keeping. But I Already completely understand what chicken fever is and I even think I get the concept of chicken math.

I'm about to enter a 3 generational chicken keeping lifestyle. I live on a family 'compound' and my mom and I have wanted to keep chickens for years, but have been barred by the other family members' disdain and prohibition. It was my son's introduction to chickens and subsequent excitement (and the prospect of spring coming after a very, very long winter) that I finally bit the bullet and ordered chicks.

A good friend and chicken keeper in Westport, who is also a sufferer of chicken fever, recommended MyPetChicken.com and that's where my son and I went and got totally hooked by.
    We ordered a sampler of attractive and recommended breeds, six to start, but we already have a wish list that's 10 breeds long. We're going to start with six. If we are successful and responsible chicken owners we will expand next year. I might reconsider the sourcing next time, based on lots I've read since then. I'll just cross my fingers and hope we get lucky. My friend has used them without issue a few times.

A few words about my son - We spend bedtime looking at BYC or googling breeds instead of reading stories. It's a sweet new ritual. We made up board with photos of the breeds we are getting and labeled them and a board of corresponding photos of what they look like as chicks.

Designing a coop and run is what distracts me most of all. I want to build it as inexpensively as possible, but be big enough for expansion and very predator proof (we have everything coming through our yard.) I've been using BYC a lot - it is extremely helpful and entertaining. I'm sure I will post as I get the coop designed and built. I intend to be very proud of my handiwork. (Alas, no husband.)

The breeds we selected for the 1st 'go round are Barred Rock, Black Jersey Giant, Easter Egger, Gold Laced Wyandotte, Red Star and Silver Spangled Hamburg. And despite my trying to prevent it, they all already have names. gulp.[​IMG]

The journey begins in the middle of May. The day of arrival will be extremely exciting.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC, and good luck in establishing your flock.

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined our community.

You've picked out some nice breeds! I've really enjoyed my Wyandottes and Easter Egger especially.

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

So glad you could join our community!

Enjoy this new adventure you are on and welcome to our flock!

6. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Hello [​IMG]and Welcome to BYC![​IMG]
    Glad to have you join! Feel free to make yourself at home!

7. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Haha I like your bedtime ritual! Looking at chicken stuff!

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to the flock, hope you will be able to enjoy your flock without harassment from the families. You are not a child and capable of making your own decisions without their intervention. How nice that you and your son will share the experience.

10. kristofandmama

kristofandmama Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2015
    Thank you to everyone for the warm greetings! This is an amazing community - so many people from all around the world, all so willing to share their knowledge and experience. Chicken keepers are awesome folks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by