New to the coop

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chikchikchicken, Jun 18, 2009.

1. chikchikchicken

chikchikchicken Hatching

Jun 18, 2009
    Hi
    I'm new to the Hen house...reading the rules.. I have been checking out this site for several weeks now. There is a lot of really good information here and I have learned a number of things already. I look forward to being a part of this community so that I can enjoy and keep safe my happy and healthy chickens.
    I am looking for information about introducing my flock to free range during the day..but I leave for work before dark so I want to be able to lock them back into the run in the afternoon...is that going to be a big problem?
    Also...as I prepare to do this I understand that I will release them several times just before dark, so they will come in easily. I wondered ..do I turn out the whole flock or just the Roo and a hen or two?

Thanks in advance for your help,
    Shahroo and the chikchikchickens

2. Mourningdove

Mourningdove Songster

Dec 17, 2008
    Cleveland, Tn.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] from NE Alabama!!! Glad you are here! You will find this place addicting! [​IMG]

3. Southern Chickens

Southern Chickens Songster

Mar 11, 2007
    NorthWest Florida
    [​IMG] from Florida!!!!!

To your questions, I would turn them all out. The rooster is the protector of the flock, he needs to be with them. I would try to feed a treat when you bring them in and maybe call them. That way you can try to train them to the call or they will think they are getting goodies and come running.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
  4. michelle1017

michelle1017 Goat Mama

Aug 21, 2008
    Missouri
    [​IMG]

5. Buckwheat

Buckwheat In the Brooder

Mar 19, 2009
    Burlington, CO
    Welcome from Colorado!

6. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

[​IMG]

7. highcountrychickens

highcountrychickens Head Rooster Jouster

Aug 28, 2008
    Jackson Hole
    [​IMG]

About your free-range question... if you leave before dark, do you get home relatively early?

I'm asking mainly because a flock turned out with no protective fencing when nobody is around will eventually be affected by predators. If you get home early because you leave early, perhaps they can be out when you get home.

I know some folks are lucky - and it depends a bit on where you live, etc. But maybe a tractor is a happy medium to look into.

Good luck and Welcome!!

8. NGT ANGL

NGT ANGL Songster

Apr 2, 2009
    Locust Grove, VA
    [​IMG] from Virginia!

9. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

[​IMG] and [​IMG] from S. Florida.

10. hen-thusiast

hen-thusiast Songster

Apr 8, 2009
    Utah
    [​IMG] from UT! Glad that you joined us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: