New to the Coop! :)

SlightlyWinged

Hatching
Mar 21, 2015
We (my parents and I) bought some chicks last week. :) I was looking for toy/entertainment ideas, and saw this forum. They're our first chickens, but we already love them! Five, all female (red sex-linked, not sure what breed). I'll try to get pictures soon!

I'm not sure how old they are, we bought them last Saturday so anywhere between a week and a half to two weeks old. We bought them at Tractor Supply.

Anyway, guess I should introduce myself? My name is Lindsay, I just turned 25 earlier this month. I have some bad social anxiety so I live with my parents. They thought the chicks (when grown) would help me get outside more, and the eggs they'll make are sure to be good too.

I've been watching them a lot the past week, they're surprisingly entertaining. :D We put in a clump of dirt and grass today, and they were all over it! Pecking, scratching, even swallowing bits of dirt.

I was wondering if anyone had tips on handling them? I've tried holding them just so they get used to it, but they're so skittish. :( I've tried hand feeding them, but they don't go for it. Should I try giving them some treats by hand?

Hi there! Red sex link is the breed :) they are a hybrid, to the best of my limited understanding, using Rhode Island Red and Rhode Island white I think. Can also be called red stars, isa browns, comets, sometimes interchangeably with other crosses
I have been fighting pnd for 5 years and my chickies have certainly helped in getting me outside, I love to sit and watch them, they are so funny, and my kids love them too.
Enjoy your new babies,

Last edited:
Ah, I assumed it was just a "description", kind of like how Calico cats aren't a breed, just a name for a black, orange and white cat. Learn something new every day! :D

Glad they helped you! :) I imagine they can be quite therapeutic, like any animal. Personally I just love sitting in my chair, watching them chirp and walk around. They've started getting their wings in though, so now they've taken to running and jumping all around the brooder while flapping!

Hi Lindsay, nice to meet you. Talk therapy and medication can make a big difference. I was agoraphobic, claustrophobic , severe social phobia, major depression etc.. I didn't get into therapy till I was 34. Never went to a prom, sleep over, anything. Too afraid to leave the house. I don't do anything spectacular but, am able to go places alone like family restaurants, movie theatres to the earliest show (almost no people inside).I lived with my parents also - they have passed on.

As to socializing your chicks. The way to their heart is through their stomach. You can start by sitting on the ground and ignoring them. After they realize you aren't going to harm or eat them - they will be more at ease in your presence. Then start throwing some treats to them, gradually having the treats very close to you. In time they will anticipate you(the treat lady) and start to climb in your lap, or push each other out of the way to get to you. They may never be friendly like a puppy would be, but chickens can be expressive in their own way. It just takes time and patience, slow moves, and soft talks.

Glad you joined the Backyard chickens flock.

Welcome to BYC, Lindsay. Glad you decided join to our flock. Red Sex Links can be produced by crossing any red gene rooster (RIRs, NHs, Production Reds) with any silver gene hen (hatcheries use either RIWs, SLWs, Light Sussex, Delawares, or sometimes silver factor White Rocks). Not only can the offspring be sexed from hatching (male chicks are whitish, female chicks are reddish), but they are egg laying machines, outlaying either parent breed. It's one of the interesting quirks of hybridization. You should get loads of eggs from those girls. :eek:) Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your Red Sex Links.

Hello
frow.gif
and Welcome to BYC!
woot.gif

Glad to have you join! Feel free to make yourself at home!

Hi :welcome Lindsay

Glad you could join the flock! Great advice there for you from drumstick on taming your chicks. Food is really the way to their hearts. Chicks are also very nosey and have to investigate everything. I tame mine by just sitting with them at first and talking to them. They soon learn to trust you. Some of my adult birds are like pirate parrots now!! They love to sit on shoulders so they can get the best view.

Wishing you the very best of luck with your chicks. Enjoy BYC :frow

I was born and raised on a farm with everything you can think of except Alpacas. Never did get one alyhough I still want one.

We have recently moved back to the farm. We were raising our 9 year old girl and 16 year old boy in the city. They are loving the country life much better now.
We have 2 peacocks, a pea hen, 3 large chickens- 1 cochen & 2 auracana , 5 from smaller breeds not sure what they are..We also have ducks 12 Indian Runners and 2 masovey. Oh and how could I forget my 3 dogS and 2 bottle goats. Ya safe to say we are loving the country life.

Welcome!
welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined our community.

To tame your chicks, continue the daily handling. Give them treats from your hand as well. Most of all, just spend time around them and near them. The more they see you and get used to your actions and voice, the tamer they will be.

Good luck with your chicks! You've picked out a great first breed that should lay very well for you.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom