New to the farm life...

Calliemonster

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 8, 2013
Hi everyone! I am new to chickens and farm life in general. My fiance of 7 years and I just bought a 22 acre farm in Mason County, WV and have been here about a week, so far. We brought 7 dogs with us, as well as our 4 cats and blue and gold macaw. The farm has two old-timer chickens on the property already, and a few days ago we bought 3 straight-run Cornish Rocks and 3 straight-run Wyandotte chicks. They are so cute! We are keeping them under a heat lamp in our bedroom for now, and there is an existing coop on the property we plan on fixing up and making a bit more spacious. The farm also has two ferrets, a 40-year old horse and a pot-bellied pig named Beef living here currently. The previous owners stop by every morning and evening to feed and care for their animals, and we don't mind having them here one bit.

We plan on having around a dozen chickens total and we really want to raise them for eggs and meat eventually. We have a grand idea of becoming self-sustaining, but we are starting out small with our first batch of chickens. We have been socializing them and making sure our dogs [who have never seen a chicken, horse or pig before last Saturday] know they are NOT for chasing or eating!

We eventually want to keep rabbits and goats as well, but when I saw these little cuties are Tractor Supply earlier this week and after I spoke a bit with the previous land-owner, we decided to take the leap into chicken-ownership!

So, howdy everyone!

ab4a3b6ffa9c5224e8d94f1bf069309e835bf44ada39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709da39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709a4b3225a1483568630b9.png

Greetings from Kansas, CallieMonster, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you with us! Congrats on your baby chicks and new lifestyle. Watch out for your chicks around the ferrets!! Best wishes!

Hello and welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Glad you joined us!

Hello and welcome from Ohio....so glad you joined BYC

Congrats on your new farm. Wow 22 acres !!!! Boy I could really have quite a few chickens with that much land :)

Cute pics of the new chicks. Enjoy them, they grow super fast

Back
Top Bottom