New to the farm life...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Calliemonster, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Calliemonster

Calliemonster New Egg

Mar 8, 2013
    Hi everyone! I am new to chickens and farm life in general. My fiance of 7 years and I just bought a 22 acre farm in Mason County, WV and have been here about a week, so far. We brought 7 dogs with us, as well as our 4 cats and blue and gold macaw. The farm has two old-timer chickens on the property already, and a few days ago we bought 3 straight-run Cornish Rocks and 3 straight-run Wyandotte chicks. They are so cute! We are keeping them under a heat lamp in our bedroom for now, and there is an existing coop on the property we plan on fixing up and making a bit more spacious. The farm also has two ferrets, a 40-year old horse and a pot-bellied pig named Beef living here currently. The previous owners stop by every morning and evening to feed and care for their animals, and we don't mind having them here one bit.

We plan on having around a dozen chickens total and we really want to raise them for eggs and meat eventually. We have a grand idea of becoming self-sustaining, but we are starting out small with our first batch of chickens. We have been socializing them and making sure our dogs [who have never seen a chicken, horse or pig before last Saturday] know they are NOT for chasing or eating!

We eventually want to keep rabbits and goats as well, but when I saw these little cuties are Tractor Supply earlier this week and after I spoke a bit with the previous land-owner, we decided to take the leap into chicken-ownership!

So, howdy everyone!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Welcome! Beautiful chicks!!! :) Great pictures!

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Congratulations on your new home, and welcome to BYC.

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, CallieMonster, and [​IMG]! Great to have you with us! Congrats on your baby chicks and new lifestyle. Watch out for your chicks around the ferrets!! Best wishes!

6. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!! [​IMG]

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

8. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

Did you get the Cornish Rock crosses to raise for meat? Here is a link you may be interested in - cornish rocks are meat bird hybrids that are intended for processing at around 8 weeks.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/21/meat-birds-etc

9. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

10. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Ohio....so glad you joined BYC

Congrats on your new farm. Wow 22 acres !!!! Boy I could really have quite a few chickens with that much land :)

Cute pics of the new chicks. Enjoy them, they grow super fast

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by