New to the Fluffy butt community!

WarrenPeace

In the Brooder
Jul 13, 2019
East Texas
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I am very new to chickens lol we are first time chicken owners and we started with our first set of chicks this spring - around Easter.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
About 18

(3) What breeds do you have?
Hyline Browns (my favorites) (2) they produce eggs like crazy and they are super sweet and laid back birds.
Buff Orpington (1) this one is my Lone Ranger, she’s always off exploring by herself.
Dark Brahma (2)
Jersey Giant (1)
Easter Eggers (5)
Black Copper Maran (1) this is my
Broody hen, and she’s also pretty high on the pecking order.
Sicilian Buttercups (2)
And a couple of girls that I’m not quite sure about. I had several more but we suffered a tragedy that decimated about half of our original flock.
And you may be wondering why we have so many different breeds, and the answer is simple - I had no experience with chickens when we got into this so I wanted to try them all lol
Breeds that we lost in the tragedy are-
Russian Orloffs
Speckled Sussex

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
It’s relaxing to watch them around the yard. They lay excellent and delicious eggs. They’re a great source of fertilizer for the garden (which I am also new to) and they keep the bugs down, and they’re pretty low maintenance pets that are beneficial to own. Not to mention they’re a healthy way to teach my children about where their food comes from and responsibilities.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
Gardening and raising my wild boys (mother of three boys lol) I also do a little carpentry from time to time.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I have three boys (two 11 yr olds and one 7 year old. My husband is my biggest child of all. We are newbie gardeners and chicken farmers. We are very active in sports. We have a big blue pit bull named Blue... she’s a big baby.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
I was researching on the web about my chickens and found lots of helpful information from this community and decided I’d like to join :)

Last edited:
So glad you found your new peeps! We'll do our best to share your experiences and challenges.

So glad you've already discovered how much pleasure you get for the minimal maintenance. And I'm sure it's going to be great for your boys to be a big part of raising the flock.

Welcome!
Thank you for the warm welcome! It’s been a bonding experience for the whole family as it’s something we all enjoy! We are looking forward to breeding some of our birds (once we get the hang of things) and trying some different sex links and hybrid birds... but we are not rushing that lol we still have lots of research to do!
Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom