New to the forum and new to chickens!

NevadaSilk

Chirping
12 Years
May 18, 2011
Hi, I'm from Georgia and I'm new to the forum as I just acquired a few chickens.....10 to be exact. Here's the story: Neighbor's hen decided my garage (and where I keep my horses hay) was a great place to lay eggs. I didn't think much of it until she started sitting on them. Few weeks later.....chicks start hatching. The first 4 hatched last friday and the other 6 came saturday morning. I told my neighbor whom told me I could keep the chicks if I wanted them. Of course, looking at their cute little faces and fuzzy bums I couldn't resist. So....I'm a chicken owner. I know nothing about chickens. NOTHING. I went to TSC and picked up some Chick Starter, feeder and waterer. Momma laid the eggs on a bale that is surrounded by other bales so it is pretty confined and stays warm. I've closed the garage down so my outdoor cats can no longer get in. I was afraid they'd eat the chicks. Anywho, momma is very protective but lets me close enough to change out feed and water daily. We are now working on a coop out back (reminents of one was already there from the previous owners of my house) to move them to when they get a little bigger. I joined the forum as I knew I'd have lots of questions along the way and appreciate any future help you all may give!

Thanks!
NS

Hello from the Pacific Northwest and welcome to BYC! What a fun way to get started with chickens!
smile.png
Do you know what kind they are?

Hello and welcome from OHIO!

What a nice setup in the garage you have for mama and the chicks! Good way to get started. You'd be surprised how easy chicks are to take care of. There is alot you can learn here at BYC......

Enjoy your little chicks!

Sharon

Welcome! I'm a newbie, too. I don't have any chickens yet. I just bought some property and haven't move in yet. I found this forum while researching. I've learned a lot already and hope that you do too! I liked your post. You didn't plan to have chickens, they found you! I wish you and your new brood well!
welcome-byc.gif
jumpy.gif

frow.gif
welcome-byc.gif

I've suspected all along the chickens have a plan to take over the world, now there's proof!
gig.gif

Love your story! Glad you joined us. Best of luck with the little fuzzy butts!

Ha, a chicken owner by accident. Those broody hens can be sneaky when they what to hatch their eggs. I'm glad the hen doesn't mind you being near by, it's nice to give the chicks some exposure to humans so they won't be afraid.

I bought a home and inherited the free range chickens and have been hooked on poultry ever since.

Have fun.

Welcome Nevadasilk!!

I am also from Georgia. How exciting that the Mother hen chose to bless you with those fuzzy little bundles of joy!

BYC is a great place to get relevant info. Folks have been very helpful and suportive here. I have had chickens for only one year and am expecting my first hatch from my broody on May 24 or 25.

One word of caution regarding Tractor Supply. They have given me BAD information on two different occations. Once envolving a chemical dewormer and once regarding an antibiotic. Luckily my ocd caused me to read the entire package before using on my flock. Glad I did. Just be careful. Read as much as you can from reliable sources, Mother Earth News, Backyard Poultry mag, etc. and ask too many questions. My chicken adventure has been so much fun. I'm sure yours will be too!!!

Keep us up to date on your progress. Pictures please!

What a cute story! And yes the cats might like a little chick snack. If you have animals in the yard you definately want to keep the chicks in a pen or coop. Little chicks are soooo fun!! Good luck with your bitties!!
welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom