New to the forum group.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by abbielaneus, Apr 5, 2018.

1. abbielaneus

abbielaneus In the Brooder

Apr 5, 2018
    Hi! I'm Mary and I'm a second time chicken "farmer." I grew up on a farm and raised bantam chickens of different breeds. My Granny had chickens and as a child I wanted to do everything she did, so I got my "small" flock. I had to give them away when my parents had to move for work and this year is the first time I've had them as an adult.
    We were planning on adding chickens when we got a larger piece of land, but my mother hurried the process when she got my step-son 6 chicks fo Easter this year...then chicken math happened as we now have 12 chicks, all around 2 weeks old. We have 2 leghorns, 2 barred rocks, 4 EE, 1 SLW, 1 red producer, and 2 we can't figure out.
    My husband (almost 2 yrs of being married) and I are both in IT, we are in WV and we share custody of my (almost 4 year old) step-son. (I hate the word step. I don't step love him or step raise him, but it is what it is. His mom is great and somehow we are "adulting" well in that situation)
    I didn't ever plan or getting married, but I didn't plan on building a chicken coop this year either- life happens and you roll with it. My only child I planned on having is my 6 year old Goldendoodle, Ainsley. She is afraid of everything except donkeys and buffalo...that's a story for another time.
    We kayak and white water raft, travel as much as possible (which ar usually short 1-2 day trips and a 2 weeks trip every other year), I quilt (another Granny trait), and we are raising our first (small) garden at our house this year.
    Chicken raising seems to have changed a bit from when I was young. Some extra wood to build a house, a fence, water, corn in the winter, and let them free range as much as possible, and gather the eggs...so this site has been very helpful. I love seeing all the info and has been incredible with the baby chick info (I never dealt with pasty butt before because our hens always raised our chicks).
    I'm loving building our coop and teaching our wee one...surprisingly Ainsley thinks she is a mama hen...she is so protective of the chicks and any time there is a louder peep than normal from the brooder- she is on high alert and checking them out. She hasn't tried to grab one yet, but she smells them each time we hold them....they are getting used to her and everyone is figuring out our new life together.
    If I ask silly questions, I apologize. I do try and research as much as possible before hand. The entire "breed" category is new to me, I never picked my own chickens before, I just got what was hatched from my Granny's flock. I've already made a list of what we are adding next year.

2. 4 ever Orpington

4 ever Orpington Mr.& Mrs Orpington

Nov 5, 2017
    Suches,Georgia
    :thumbsup :welcome

3. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams

G'Day from down under Mary :frowWelcome and Congratulations! :clap

Thank you for sharing what is a great introduction!

I do hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

BYC has Topic of the Week discussions which I have found to be a great resource, informative and sometimes entertaining; so definitely worth checking out and great husbandry refreshers.

If you would like to share Pictures and Stories of your flock and Ainsley, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

Including your general location on your profile will assist others. Location, climate, season etc can be important factors when members are responding to any questions you may have and vice versa. There is no such thing as a silly question!

You might want to also Find Your State Thread and pop in and say hello.

Also, if you post some pictures on the Breed or Gender Forum you will get some assistance identifying those you can not figure out. Also good for when you need a hand determining if you have boys or girls.

4. abbielaneus

abbielaneus In the Brooder

Apr 5, 2018
    Thanks, Teila! I will definitely check those areas out! I'm trying to be patient and wait for feathers since they are only a couple weeks old and it is hard to tell a lot just yet - but it's so hard!!!
    We are still naming each member of "The Breakfast Club" as personalities grow, but I'll definitely share soon. I think I need to build out my profile, but I've been reading so much great advice I haven't gotten there yet. Hahaha

We are heading to your neck of the globe in Dec. to NZ. I haven't been for a few years and it will be my husband's first trip. I haven't been brave enough to take the short hop after that to Australia- there is a list of "The Wold's Deadliest" things that keeps playing in my head when I think about it.

I am always up for sharing pics of my fluffy butt Ainsley. We were hoping to finish the coop this weekend, but it looks like more snow is heading our way. I'm so over the snow this year.

Attached Files:

Joeschooks, N F C, puffypoo22 and 5 others like this.
  5. ukype270win

ukype270win Chirping

Mar 22, 2018
    NW Ohio, USA
    Greetings from a forum noob, southerner transplant in northwest Ohio, fellow IT professional, and new "step" parent of a 7-yr old and 13-yr twins. My own children are 20 and 12 so I started over but I am loving the decision. Good luck with your flock. I too grew up canning, making pickles, fermenting, and I still do those things along with raising my own gardens, but chickens are brand new.

6. penny1960

penny1960 Going back to La La Land

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    Quite the BIO Welcome to Backyard Chickens many of us started with the farm in childhood enjoy life as it is handed

7. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams

Aaaw, she is a cutie! My FIL had a spoodle who sadly passed away a few years ago, his name was Inu:

Inu2.jpg

Deadly things? Here? Noooo! ;) :p

Australia.jpg

But we do cute too!

Cute.jpg

I hope you have an awesome time over the ditch!

8. ronott1

ronott1 A chicken will always remember the egg

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, CA
    My Coop
    I loved your introduction!

I do not think chicken raising has changed that much. It is more information and better husbandry for them. They are happier and healthier and we get more eggs!

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Thank you for joining us at Backyard chickens

Joeschooks, ronott1, N F C and 2 others like this.
  10. 007Sean

007Sean Addict

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Howdy Mary :welcome:frow Happy :yato have you join the family. Enjoy your time here at BYC! :)
    Great intro!:goodpost:

Joeschooks, ronott1, N F C and 2 others like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: