1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New to the forum... in Florida

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by kim.home, Nov 16, 2008.

1. kim.home

kim.home Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2008
    Hi, I'm new here. My hubby for years said he wanted chickens and I told him he was crazy to want to do that in our house in suburbia on the 1/4 acre lot. Well, now I've seen friends doing it and decided we might be able to after all. So we found some day olds that a lady in our county was ordering, mixed breeds. So we now have 15 2 week old chicks, 10 of which belong to my dad and he's coming to get them today. I'll be down to 5, and what I'm keeping is 2 Buff Brahmas, 1 blue Orpington, 1 or 2 Gold Laced Wyandottes and possibly 1 speckled Sussex. I have an 8x8 covered "pen" out back that was retooled for chickens (used to be for rabbits) and the house is almost done to be attached to the pen.

I really appreciate being part of this forum, I am pretty clueless about chickens, just been reading ALOT and talking to my chicken friends. Anything on those breeds that I have? [​IMG]

2. ~SunSetsWest~

~SunSetsWest~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Central, Fl.
    [​IMG] Where in Fl are you?

3. allaboutdemchicks

allaboutdemchicks Chapel Farms

Sep 13, 2008
    Jemison, AL
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

4. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

5. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    welcome [​IMG]

6. buck-wild-chick

buck-wild-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Hamilton C. FL
    Welcome !!! im in North Fla !

7. mlmadura

mlmadura Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    ms
    WELCOME to the forum and to CHICKEN ADDICTION!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. kim.home

kim.home Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2008
    I am a little south of Tampa. And yes, I am a little chicken-crazy!

9. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Welcome Kim. A little south of Tampa? Maybe you can provide my Dad with fresh eggs! LOL He's in Sebring.
    So....buff brahmas, wyandottes, and an orpington, all great choices! I only have the brahmas myself. You'll probably find them to be sweet, quiet birds, but they can be a little on the shy side. As they grow they remain quiet and unassuming, but whenever I sit down outside two of my buffs are the first to jump up on my legs to visit.
    Good luck with your new adventure.

10. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by