New to the Game....

pozarnsk

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 26, 2008
Turtle Lake, ND
Well, I just moved to the country and tomorrow I have 50 chicks arriving from Ideal poultry. 25 RIR, 25 Barred Rocks, people are telling me I might have over done it.
smile.png

I AM starting to notice that no one on the forums here has that many......

I guess we'll see what happens.

There are plenty of people on here that have that many. I have 43 layers and a rooster. Well some of my layers may be Roosters too. Also have 48 meat chickens.

Its all good you can handle it as long as they have plenty of room.

my only slight concern is what I am going to do with 1000+ eggs per month in 20 weeks. Everythone I talk to that hears I've got chickens coming wants to get in on the eggs, but that is still alot to get rid of.

Also, with gas at $4+ a gallon I certainly won't be delivering them to people, anyone have experience/plans for this scenario??

2 kids, one wife(not a fan of chickens....yet), 1 Aussie puppy

People will come to you to get them. You can email or call friends and family after you start getting eggs and them that you have eggs for sale. You can also take them to work or hubby can take them to work and sell. Send a note for the teachers room at your local school that you have eggs for sale. You can post a sign at the end of your driveway or put a cooler there with some in it with a sign and a can for $$ and people can stop and grab them on their way through.

If you have a local store they may buy some from you to sell as well.

You will be able to get rid of them.

You certainly didn't over do it. I have 31 and feel like getting 40 or 50 more would be a great idea although my husband doesn't agree. As for the eggs I wouldn't deliver either try selling them to a few people that want them and are willing to pick them up and maybe by word of mouth more people will want them. I don't have near that many eggs in a month but tons of people are asking for them so I usually don't have extras.

Back
Top Bottom