New to the group and new to incubating! :)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MrsJenSmith2007, Oct 22, 2013.

1. MrsJenSmith2007

MrsJenSmith2007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2013
    West Virginia
    Hello! My name is Jen and I am new to the group. I have been raising chickens for about seven years, but just recently decided to start incubating our own babies from our beautiful mixed flock. Just last month one of our old girls finally decided to go broody and hatched 3 eggs, but just one survived the hatch."Peeperella" as my young daughters have fondly named her, is doing very well and is being raised in our home at this time. I currently have 13 eggs in our homemade incubator. Temp and humidity have been terrific and eggs looked good, at least from what my amateur eye can see when I candled. I did make a big mistake however, and I set different sets of eggs on different days SO I will have a few hatch days in the next couple weeks. Our very first hatch day is set for this Sunday with only 2 remaining fertile eggs left to hatch that day. I have seen the baby in t at least one of these eggs, but the other is SO dark that my small light won't penetrate the shell very well.

Anyway, I have been researching and preparing for the upcoming hatches, learning all about when and how to help and when to wait it out, what to do with humidity on hatch day, etc. Each time I searched a topic while learning about incubating, it brought me right back here to this forum. SO I decided that it only made sense to join!

Just wanted to introduce myself as there is a good chance I will be asking for much needed advice in the very exciting coming days and weeks!! Thanks!!!

Jen [​IMG]
    Oh!

By the way I'm the 29 year old proud mother of 2 beautiful daughters (4 and 6), A 7 year old Boxer and 8 year old Boston Terrier, a 16 year old African Grey Parrot, and a flock of 27 (and growing) hens and roosters! Oh! And a husband who is left wondering when and how we ended up with all these ANIMALS!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by