New to the group and the chicken life

Gamanda342

In the Brooder
Apr 18, 2018
Hi! My name is Amanda and I am joining mainly to get some help for my daughter, and also for me when I need to help her out. We have had chickens before but we have them to my father in law to care for due to having some issues with the coop and predators. Kylee currently has 1 baby chick, she started with two and one didn't make it and 4 full grown. 3 females and one male. She is very passionate about it. She is also trying her first batch of eggs in her incubator she got for Christmas! She is 14, the oldest. Then she has 3 brothers the youngest being 2 and he loves to help also! We love doing yard work and different things outside together as a family. We are a blended family of 6 years and we have full custody of his kids, and they are mine! So, I'd love to be able to help her out and her have a forum to come to as well.

Hello Amanda and welcome to BYC

On this link you'll find lots of information on almost every aspect of keeping chickens - from coop building ideas, to incubating eggs - https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/

There’s a link on the page above to the Learning Centre - it’s a great resource. If you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

Each week, various topics are discussed, which can also be a great resource - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive

You can use this link to contact members in your area - Find Your State Thread

Best wishes

Pork Pie

Welcome! Chickens are a great experience for children. There are tons of great info on this site from incubation to chickens keeping, illness, coops, etc...usually..if u have a question...wont b long till someone responds. My daughter raised chickens to...she learned a lot about animals, responsibility, life and death. We also had horses, goats, geese...and other critters. She went on to work in veterinary medicine. I still keep chickens..i have serama, cemani, brahma, orpingtons and RIRs...we love them all!

Welcome! Chickens are a great experience for children. There are tons of great info on this site from incubation to chickens keeping, illness, coops, etc...usually..if u have a question...wont b long till someone responds. My daughter raised chickens to...she learned a lot about animals, responsibility, life and death. We also had horses, goats, geese...and other critters. She went on to work in veterinary medicine. I still keep chickens..i have serama, cemani, brahma, orpingtons and RIRs...we love them all!

Hi! Yes we agree! She is such a responsible girl and this has definitely helped. She loves to work and help outside and animals are her passion. I'm assuming she will end up doing something with animals as well when she is older. That's great for your daughter! Good for her!

Blue Welcome.png
It is great having you here!

Check out the learning center under articles to find tips for predator proofing the coop and run

Back
Top Bottom