New To the Group With Banties

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Firstrune, Apr 14, 2007.

1. Firstrune

Firstrune Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2007
    MO
    Hello All, I'm new to the group and have been lurking for awhile reading all the good information here. I have 27 3 week old Banty chicks, Mille Fleurs, Partridge Cochins, Black Frizzles, Japanese White and Japanese Buff, and Golden Laced Cochins. I'm really looking forward to having a colorful little flock! [​IMG] So far they're all doing well and I've been reading through many of the posts here trying to get an idea for when they could safely be moved outside, the aquarium is getting a little small for them. We built a new chicken coop and are currently working on the fenced pen area. The coop is approx. 8x10, and does have electricity to it, so I could keep a heat lamp in there, it's also pretty draft tight. Some info I've found say's the chicks can be moved to their outdoor homes as soon as 4 weeks, other info say's 6 to 8 weeks. If they're kept in the coop during colder weather and provided a heat lamp or two, would they be in any danger moving them out as soon as 4 weeks, or would it be wiser to wait until they're a couple of weeks older?

Thanks so much for any input, there's a wealth of information on here and I appreciate everyone sharing their experience and knowledge.

Glad to be a part of the group!

Bonnie

2. montverdechick

montverdechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2007
    Central Florida
    Mine started in the coup with a heat lamp, never put them in an inside brooder. But, I live in FL. When I got mine 5 weeks ago, it was in the 70s during the day and 40s-50s at night. So, as long as you can maintain the right temp for them, they can go out anytime...or at least that is my experience.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2007
  3. Firstrune

Apr 14, 2007
    MO
    Hi montverdechick, I started these chicks out in the coop, but at the time they arrived we were having temps similar to your's in FL. I had a heat lamp up for them and a small area of the coop partitioned off for them. However, within days of their arrival we were dropkicked into another arctic blast with nights only in the teens, so I made the decision to bring them in. They're doing well inside, but they are outgrowing the aquarium (used 55 gallon) and I think they may be happier if they got back outside with more room to rustle around.

4. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    yes you can move them back into their henhouse.so they can have more room to move around.an you can put their heatlamp in there as well.

5. Firstrune

Apr 14, 2007
    MO
    Thank you wynedot55. I'm going to plan to move them back to the chicken coop within the next couple of days. We're supposed to get into high 60's and low 70's over the next week or so, with nights in 40's, so I think they'll do all right out there.

6. Hotwings

Hotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2007
    southwestern Michigan
    Quote:What an assortment of batams you have:). I would love to see pictures. My friend Freebie has 5 mille fleur hens and they are just gorgeous.

7. Firstrune

Apr 14, 2007
    MO
    What an assortment of batams you have:). I would love to see pictures. My friend Freebie has 5 mille fleur hens and they are just gorgeous.

Hi Hotwings, thank you!! I'm pretty excited about my little flock and really looking forward to them maturing and feathering out. I think the Mille Fleurs are one of the prettiest Bantams. I'll be sure to get some pics when they have more color to them and share with the group. So far I've found the Black Frizzles to be so friendly! They'll sit in my hand and go to sleep, they're also not at all shy about coming right up to me.

We finally finished the outdoor pen today and once we get the area around the coop and pen cleaned up of building materials, I'll take pics of it and post them in the coop section.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by