New to the group.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Outlaws, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Outlaws

Outlaws Just Hatched

Feb 19, 2016
    Well I just joined the group. We got 5 new chicks in hopes to get at least 3 so we can have eggs at home. It is now a week later and we still have all 5 of them. I was told new chicks have a high mortality rate. But so far we are doing good.
    I am looking forward to getting to know more about these little ones and meet you all.
    The Outlaws.

2 people like this.
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hey, Outlaws, welcome to BYC, and good luck with your flock.

3. Outlaws

Outlaws Just Hatched

Feb 19, 2016
    Thanks Broody Magician. We are in central Oregon so I ordered Buff Orpingtons. From what I read they are good layers and have nice temperaments. I am hoping to keep some egg production going in the winter also. So I may be asking questions as to how to help keep that happening.

4. CochinLover1

CochinLover1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2015
    Ohio
    Welcome! And, I hope you will find your chickens to be as entertaining and lovable as most of us on here do!

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Outlaws and welcome to BYC - great to have you onboard. Congrats on your new chicks. The learning centre has lots of useful info, and your state thread (just type your state in the search box) will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area.

All the best
    CT

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Winter is practically over - isn't it? That ground hog proclaimed early spring. Welcome to Backyard chickens.

7. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

What breed of chicks do you have? Feel free to share a photo if you'd like...pictures are always good.

Hope you're having fun, enjoy them while they are little, they grow quickly!

1 person likes this.
  8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

9. Outlaws

Outlaws Just Hatched

Feb 19, 2016
    I got Buff Orpingtons because I read they are hardy in colder climates. And they are a friendly chicken. I got 5 hoping to be able to keep at least 3 alive. Well all 5 are doing well. So we will have a few more than what I planned on but we will handle that. But I think one of them isn't a Buff. The color is a bit different and the legs are a different color. My friend thinks the one is an Americana. [​IMG]

10. Outlaws

Outlaws Just Hatched

Feb 19, 2016
    [​IMG]
    This is the feet and legs of the one odd chick.
    [​IMG]
    This is the foot and leg of the buff chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by