New to the group

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Sharonea1959, Sep 16, 2018.

1. Sharonea1959

Sharonea1959 Hatching

Sep 16, 2018
    First thank you for this group, you people have helped many times already.
    I am new to this bird thing. have always had budgies, canaries, and love birds.
    Got me first Guinea Rooster in March 2018, he was being murdered by his current flock, so I took him. then got a hen and she died. Found another and my flock has been growing. Bought 6 few days olds, including a white, lavender and black. Incubated some eggs, got two more, had to undo the shell of one. then my original hen hatched out 5 more, 2 died. Just put the remaining 3 5 week olds in with the 10 week olds, and my pair of 5 month old black silks, Just go 3 more 5 week old silkies, and my 5 weeks old keets are terrified of them, which is why I put all the guines together, except for the original adults, that will come later.
    Any body any idea why the keets are afraid of the chicks, I thought it should be the other way around. Would this be same with the older keets, Could I let everyone out in the coup, and the young silkies be OK, or do you think the older keets would attack them?
    I am from small town Ontario, Canada, the nearest large city is Kingston I am approx. 25 miles north of that city.

2. Chick-N-Fun

Chick-N-Fun Feather & Fur Whisperer

Jun 26, 2014
    Upstate NY
    Welcome to our FUNomenal flock! :celebrate

3. FrankieDoodle

FrankieDoodle Crossing the Road

Jul 29, 2017
    California
    :frow Welcome to BYC!!! :woot

4. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  5. 007Sean

007Sean Enabler

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Howdy :frow and Welcome to Backyard Chickens.

Thanks for joining us! :woot

6. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Don't lie. Don't cheat your way through life.

Welcome to BYC!
    :yesss: We are glad you joined our flock!

This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:

Coop Ideas:
    Chicken Coops
    There are a couple of articles below in my signature that are worth the short read.
    BYC has an APP

7. Perris

Perris Songster

Jan 28, 2018
    Gower, Wales
    Hi @Sharonea1959 ! welcome to BYC :frow If you search the forums for keets you might find someone who can answer your question, and if you put @ in front of their user name, they'll get a notification so see your post. Good luck! :thumbsup

8. FlappyFeathers

FlappyFeathers Crowing

Feb 5, 2018
    Northwest Oregon
    My Coop
    byc-lg-flock.jpg

hithere.gif Couldn't quite make out exactly how many birds you have currently, but sounds like you're starting with a lot! If your guineas and silkies are the same age (5 weeks) they should be ok together... I don't think the keets are truly afraid, the silkies are just different from what they're used to. When I got my new baby chicks, my older hens were "afraid" of them too.

It's not a good idea to put the silkies with the older guineas. At least until they've all experienced the "see but don't touch" introduction for a while. Even then, you will really have to watch to make sure your silkies stay safe... maybe include some hiding spots for them. But from what I've heard, guineas can be pretty mean to chickens so you may eventually have to keep them separated anyway.

Good luck in your new birding adventure!

9. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Crossing the Road

Mar 21, 2016
    Maricopa, AZ. (near Phoenix)
    Hello, and welcome to BYC!

007Sean, drumstick diva and rjohns39 like this.
  10. adrikeen

adrikeen Whooo let the chicks ooout? Peep...peep...peep

Sep 10, 2012
    Newark Delaware
    :welcome
    Glad to have you join our flock! Pull up a roost! :hugs

007Sean, drumstick diva and rjohns39 like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: