new to the group

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Okye, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Okye

Okye New Egg

Aug 6, 2014
    Hello all I live in the eastern panhandle of WV and I have a few chickens. I'm looking to buy more but can't really find any around the Charles Town WV and Inwood area.

2. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Hi Okye, welcome to BYC! What kind of chickens do you currently have? We have a mixed flock of 16 (Speckled Sussex, Rhode Island Red, Easter Egger, Black Australorp, Red Sex Link, and Barred Rock).

When we first got into chickens we purchased 7 from someone on Craigslist. We lost 4 of them within 2 weeks and ended up with only 3 (we call them our rescue chickens because they came from such a poor environment). Earlier this year we ordered from Murray McMurray and got wonderful, healthy chicks. Some people have good luck buying locally from Craigslist, but after our 1st experience, we decided it was worth the little extra cost (shipping and immunizations) to order online from a reputable hatchery.

No matter how you go about obtaining more chickens, make sure you get them from a reputable source and that they are the healthiest ones you can find. It's worth the extra diligence to be happy with your flock.

3. ronmauldin

ronmauldin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2014
    Rhode Island
    Welcome from the Ocean State!

There are lots of great online sources, also. I got my last batch from chickensforbackyards.com and was very pleased.

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
  5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. TwoCrows has given you a good link. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in finding your chickens.

7. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Two Crows has given you a great link - if you post on your state thread people with something to sell should pop up. Hope you find the birds you are seeking. Welcome to BYC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by