New to the group

mbrock

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 12, 2014
Sw Fla
I'm from southwest Florida. We have 4 Buff
Orpingtons and 2 Black Orpingtons, all hens. This is our first time with chickens. The kids hatched the buffs and the blacks where purchased recently. They are about 16-18 weeks.

Last edited:
Welcome to the flock. Your kids did a great job incubating . I don't think I have ever seen a black orpington - maybe it is a Black Australorp (bred from orpingtons) I know there are also lavender and chocolate orps. I think bantam ones too

These are them together. I do believe that they are true blacks orpingtons I did some research, but if not they are beauty full birds. Here are is a pic of them
[/IMG]

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. There is definitely a Black Orpington breed (Black Australorps were first bred using Black Orpington stock), and although they are very uncommon in the USA (BAs are far more common), there are some breeders, and even a few hatcheries that sell Black Orpingtons. About the only difference visually between Black Orpingtons and Black Australorps is that Black Orpingtons are a little larger bird (when the Australorp was bred, size was traded down for an increase in egg production). Given the size of your birds in the photo, I think you probably do have actual Black Orpingtons. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your Orpingtons.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Great job on the hatch! Love those Orps! They are so docile, gentle and are great layers as well.

Enjoy your flock and we do welcome you to our roost!

Thank you. They are great birds. They follow my son around anytime he goes out with them, and listen to him better than the dog.

Welcome to BYC. My Buff Orpingtons are my fav of all the breeds I have. I've never heard of a Black Orpington until now, I wonder if they are as docile as the Buffs? My Buffs are my best year round layers as well.

The blacks are good birds so far, they are alittle more shy. I have only had them about three weeks, but they seem to love to be handled once they are used to you. The size difference is amazing. The black are very much bigger. What else can be said about the buffs. We love them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom