1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New to the Hen House...from NY

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Tough Old Bird, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Tough Old Bird

Tough Old Bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2013
    Hi everyone. It looks like there are a lot of new members here as well as a huge community base, and I'm looking forward to learning A LOT.

I'm self educating myself this winter in hopes of starting a small spring (hen only) flock with enthusiastic help from my 11-year old son. The primary purpose of these chickens will be for pets / eggs. We love our animals.

At this juncture, I'm planning on finding starter pullets, rather than raising chicks. This is due to our usually busy spring schedule with kids in sports. However, I welcome any feedback and advice from others based on their past experience(s) with chicks vs. pullets.

The breeds I'm inclined to start with to date include Barred Rocks, Orpingtons, Australorps &/or Americaunas. Looking for cold-weather hardy, friendly disposition birds that are not overly broody. I'm really hopeful that I'll be able to hook up with someone reputable in my area that is willing to sell me some starter hens in the spring.

Happy New Year to all, and thanks in advance for info you'd like to share.

"TOB"

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    HI, TOB, welcome to BYC. Any or a combination of the breeds listed sound as if they will suit your needs. Go to the social section, "Where am I? Where are you!" forum and look up the New York state thread. It's an active group , and somewhere can point you towards some local birds.

3. Tough Old Bird

Jan 3, 2013
    Thank you, Sourland! I will check out this section. Thanks for the great advice and input on the chicken species as well.

TOB

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, TOB, and [​IMG]! Great to have you aboard! Good luck to you and your Spring chickens!!

5. Tough Old Bird

Jan 3, 2013
    Thanks so much, redsoxs! [​IMG]

TOB

6. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

7. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from washington state glad you joined us!

8. VentuckyChick

VentuckyChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    So Cal
    Welcome from Southern California! So far I have discovered that the whole "broodiness rating" is pretty much wrong. LOL--we had a Cuckoo Maran go uber-broody, could NOT break her, and ended up having to get her two chicks! THEN our Ancona--supposedly NOT broody--got the same idea but this time we were determined and finally broker her. I've also discovered that the broodiness rating varies depending on the source, so who knows, really. In short, you've come to the right place. There are so many pros here you'll get all your questions answered!

9. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Chicks are more work, but you will bond with them easier and they are huge fun to raise. POL pullets on the other hand is much easier and won't make you wait to long for eggs. Up to you...

10. Tough Old Bird

Jan 3, 2013
    Again, thanks so much to everyone for the warm welcome. I especially appreciate the tips and pointers provided. It's one thing to read a text book of "how to's" about something and I'm doing my homework, but how can you beat real-life experiences related by others?

Gotta say, the whole "broody" thing is a little intimidating because we do not want to increase our planned little flock, but nor do I want a cranky, depressed hen!

TOB

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by