New to the Idea of Chickens...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Katrina89, Jul 2, 2017.

1. Katrina89

Katrina89 Chirping

Jun 9, 2016
    Santa Fe, NM
    Hi, I'm Katrina. I'm 27 (almost 28), and I've been on the site for a while... I first came across backyardchickens.com when I was reading my new Backyard Homesteading book. I'm currently in New Mexico, and I don't have chickens yet. Due to unforeseen events, I'm staying with family until I can put a down payment on a house. I am eager to learn more about chickens and meet some kindred spirits. :)

EvansMeXo likes this.
  2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. .....

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Hi, Katrina. Welcome too BYC! There's always room for one more on the roost here

Katrina89 likes this.
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Nice to meet you Katrina. Hope you will enjoy BYC as much as we do.

Katrina89 likes this.
  4. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Hello Katrina and welcome to BYC

You'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre - https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/category/learning-center.11/ and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

Each week, various topics are discussed, which can also be a great resource - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread#post_3239224

All the best

CT

Katrina89 likes this.
  5. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    :frow Hello Katrina, so glad you have joined us.

Good luck with your plans, IMO planning and looking forward to new adventures fills the time until one can accomplish them.

Katrina89 likes this.
  6. 4 Georgia Hens

4 Georgia Hens Crowing

Jan 3, 2017
    Northern Georgia
    HI Katrina!
    We are always glad to meet another chicken-lover! Have you been thinking about what kinds of chickens you might want (good layer, meat bird, multi purpose, show bird)? If your not sure, we (us at BYC) would LOVE to give you ideas!! Good luck!

Katrina89 likes this.
  7. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Welcome aboard! :frow
    We are glad you joined our flock.
    This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:

Get settled in and share some pics of your flock!

Katrina89 likes this.
  8. Katrina89

Katrina89 Chirping

Jun 9, 2016
    Santa Fe, NM
    Thank y'all so much! I really appreciate all of the support and great advice! <3 Right now, I'm just looking to get some great layers... until I get used to having chickens. And you're right... sometimes planning is the best way to pass the time till we can actually do what we plan. I've got a plan for buying my first house, which will then lead to my chicken plan. Lol. :D The wheels are spinnin' and I'm movin' slowly forward, but I'm moving. :D lol. I will do this! And I'm glad to be able to talk to so many wonderful chicken lovers! <3

KikisGirls likes this.
  9. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Make sure you check to see if chickens are allowed in the neighborhood/area/town you plan on buying your house in too.

Katrina89 likes this.
  10. Katrina89

Katrina89 Chirping

Jun 9, 2016
    Santa Fe, NM
    I've checked... Thank you. :D

sunflour and KikisGirls like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: