New to the love ofchickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by windhamchicks, May 16, 2016.

1. windhamchicks

windhamchicks New Egg

May 16, 2016
    We brought home quite a mixed amount.a mama hen and her 3 chicken nuggets (I think a week old) 2 juvenile chicks, a male and a female (i'd say about 4 weeks old). It was going well till the next morning. One of the babies got snatched aND mostly eAten in the night. So now the remaining babies are in my tub under a light. I just couldn't stand to lose another. However when this happened the hen laid into the 2 juveniles in the enclosure. I couldn't figure out if she was being rude or trying to establish her pecking order. As of tonight,however,they are all sleeping in the coop together so maybe they will work it out. But this chicken thing is a bit exhausting but fun to watch
    Candace

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Sounds like the mama hen killed the juvenile chick. It may have wanted mothering and she knew it wasn't hers. I would keep the others away from her. If you have them in a brooder they don't need their mother. Chickens just can't be put in together, they have to gradually get used to different birds. Please check on thread on introducing new birds to others.

3. windhamchicks

windhamchicks New Egg

May 16, 2016
    These were hers though :( I saw where it got pulled out and mostly eaten. Such a sad morning. BUT I went ahead and brought the other 2 inside. The hen seems to be doing well with older juvenile chickenso at last. Will I have to slowly re-introduce these 2 little ones when they are a very more weeks older?

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by