New to the roost.

Aluckyshot

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 20, 2014
Ontario
Hello every one, this seemed to be the number one chicken forum so here I am too learn from the pros! I am a complete greenhorn when it comes to poultry keeping so I am sure I will be doing more reading on this forum than contributing but I look forward to it.

I have wanted to get chickens for a while but it wasn't until recently I decided too make a small backyard flock a reality. One of the first things I learned is that chickens are more popular in the spring and summer than in the fall, luckily for me the birds I set my little pea brain on were available. I actually just got the ladies home this evening, I figured can't be posting to backyard chickens with out any back yard chickens! Can't be a chicken poser. Starting with 6 White Chantecler chickens at the moment and I will see how it goes from here, probably double in size and get a rooster next year if everything is going well.

The coop is an old 8'x6' pool shed that needed some love, being new to chickens I wasn't sure if the thing needed to be insulated or not, the forum even seemed torn on the idea. I insulated it since there will no doubt be some days in the winter that are -20c or -30c with the wind and I would feel really bad if some poor bird got frostbite because I was too lazy or cheap too provide enough protection. The run area actually won't get completed until next year, I basically need to replace the entire fence at this house so the cost and time required to complete it before getting the chickens wasn't realistic, in the mean time I will be putting a bunch of dog run cages I have as a band aid solution. They will free range hopefully and be allowed to roam in the future but I am thinking of limiting them to the coop and soon to be established run for at least a week, since I am worried about them leaving since I doubt this coop is "home" yet.

My two cents about the birds themselves and chicken keeping are meaningless at this point but these girls seem very skittish yet completely non aggressive, even at the farm with the lady who raises and looks after the birds the girls ran from. These are fairly large chickens, not that I have much to compare them too at this point but I am sure these things must be considered a "large breed". As for egg production, eating, etc... I have no clue at this point, I was just relieved to get them home and start my adventures in chicken keeping! I look forward to chatting with every one and learning all about the wide world of chickens!

Welcome to Backyard chickens. I hope you will explore the Learning center and then the forums of most interest to you. Generally locking new birds in the coop for a few days, will encourage them to regard it as HOME, and will return to it at dusk each day. I'm an not familiar with the breed .- Some people socialize their birds and others just provide the feed, water and clean their surroundings. In either case they can be brought over to the "friendly" side by offering them treats and sitting with them ,for a time,daily. This will give them the opportunity to learn you are a good flockmate and not a predator. Just have patience with them..

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. The main thing with your coop is to make certain that it has good ventilation so that moisture doesn't drip from the ceiling, that it's draft free, and that it's dry. Chanteclers are a cold hardy breed. Their feathers are excellent insulation and moisture is a much greater danger than cold. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your Chanteclers.

Hi and :welcome

Yeah, chickens are cold hardy in general (and sounds like you got a particularly sturdy breed), they stand up to it better than they like excessive heat :p Michael has the right of it, keeping dry and draft-free is the most important.

Good luck with getting everything finished, and enjoy your chooks

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Here is an article on winter chicken keeping with some tips:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/winter-chicken-keeping

Also check out the Learning Centre for more on chicken in general:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Enjoy the site!

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

You've received some excellent advice and links above! Good luck with your chickens.

Welcome! I had a friend give me her Chantecler hens and a rooster last month. I call them my friendly giants as the hens are huge, but are very friendly. I found them to be quite nervous at first but are coming around little by little as they are starting to get excited when they see me coming with treats :)

Please feel free to ask any questions.

Back
Top Bottom