New to the site and chickens, and pics of my new coop

dustyw

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jan 17, 2010
I am new to the site and to chickens. I have had my chickens for about 4 months. They were already laying when they were given to me. I made a quick make shift coop/shelter for them and it worked great until about 2 months ago it got really windy and it flipped over, with them in it. I turned it back over and wireed it down but they were so scared they would no go back in it. It was freezing cold so I let them free range in the barn for about a week until I got this coop done. They have not laid an egg since the windy day there house blew over, with them in it! I just installed a light on a timer to see if that helps. I have some trim pieces to put up yet and button up some wiring, but that can wait till its warm out. Let me know what you guys and gals think. Its my first attempt at building a coop. This site is full of great info.
47289_coop_4.jpg

47289_coop_2.jpg

47289_coop_1.jpg

47289_coop_5.jpg
kyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/47289_coop_3.jpg[/img]
47289_coop_7.jpg
um/uploads/47289_coop_6.jpg[/img]
47289_coop_8.jpg

47289_coop_9.jpg

47289_coop_6.jpg

47289_coop_5.jpg

It beautiful! And you built that in a week?
Did you take any other pictures while you worked on it? Even if you didn't, make a BYC page and enter it in the coop contest!
Welcome to BYC:welcome

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC. That is an awesome coop! I, too, hope your girls recover and start laying for you - they certainly have a perfect place to do it!

no it took me about 3 weeks in the evenings. I already had it started before the wind came, so I just hit hard until it was finished. Its completely insulated, floors walls and ceiling, including the nest box. The orange pex lines you can see hanging out in the corner is the radiant heat in the floor. I would like to experiment with solar heat and if that does not work, I can hook it up to my outside wood boiler pretty easy and have all the heat I need. But thats for next year, It actually stayed pretty warm in there all winter with it being insulated.

Hello from Tx, Very nice coop/run, I bet they will very happy there! I can imagine the shock and a half they got when the chickens home blew over! Looks like that won't be happening again.

Back
Top Bottom