new to the site and semi new chicken mom

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by coco-nut, Aug 28, 2013.

1. coco-nut

coco-nut New Egg

Aug 25, 2013
    hi my name is Kory and I am the proud momma of six urban hens, Francine, big red, paquita, blonde,orange glow and Barbie I was also the mother of warty and coco-nut but they are now in heaven. I am not sure what kind of hens I own because I bought them at a swap meet because they where all scrunched up together in a very tiny cage and I felt horribly bad and brought them home with me. looking thru some pics I think they might be Long Island reds but not sure. I wish I new how to upload pics so maybe you guys can tell me what kind they are. I have a very big back yard so my girls are semi- free most of the time they where always free but they choose to stop laying eggs in their normal place and I am not able to find the eggs it was beginning to be Easter everyday and the chickens where winning so back to their coop they go in hopes to go back to normal. I want to believe I am doing thing right for my girls I feed them a layer mix hen feed and also kitchen scraps like vegetables fruits pasta and bread but they look very thin to me. although their craw are always huge fool of food they don't seem to get chunky. maybe that's normal but not sure. they lay pretty good huge brown eggs but once in a while the eggs come out with out the outer shell and that kinda freaks me out. well I am glad I found you all and I can't wait to read and learn from all of you.

2. Mehjr10

Mehjr10 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Moscow, TN
    Welcome to BYC from West TN ! Some breeds will appear thinner than others, My white leghorns look alot thinner than most of my others, for example. Feeding sounds good, add some oyster shell free choice if you do not have it out, for the eggs shells.

You may want to look into worming them if they appear really thin and do not improve after some TLC.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]considering the seller had them jammed up in a small cage, I am prone to believe he never wormed them or treated them for lice/mites, or fed them properly either. That would explain why they are full but, still skinny - parasites are probably robbing them of the nutrition they take in. That can also cause shell less eggs. It doesn't sound like you are doing anything wrong but, it will take work & treatment to get them healthy. They are lucky you took them home.

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us! I don't think it would hurt to deworm them just in case. Good luck with them!

5. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Welcome and good luck!

6. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and a belated [​IMG]! Pleased you joined us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by