New to the site with first dumb question!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TKS, Dec 10, 2009.

1. TKS

TKS New Egg

Dec 9, 2009
    Waynesboro, MS
    My Dom's live in a Chicken Tractor that I constructed with info from this site. They are 1 1/2 years old and had a great summer with an average of 4 eggs a day from 3 hens. During the summer they quit going to roost. They continue to go up into the nesting area to lay their eggs but they never go up at night. What could be the issue? I am worried about the cold weather. They just hunker down on the ground at night.
    Thanks for the help. I really enjoy this site and have visited it numerous times but never registered until yesterday.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  2. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    [​IMG] and can you post a picture it usually helps..what are you using for a roost?

3. cndula@elp.rr.com

[email protected] Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    El Paso, Tx
    I have been trying to get mine to hunker down instead of roost thinking they would be warmer in a tarped area in the straw. But they won't. I'm guessing mine aren't cold enough yet. It doesn't get that cold here. Your's must be cold enough to prefer the warmth of the bedding or ground.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  4. Hillbilly Hen

Hillbilly Hen Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2009
    Newaygo Michigan
    [​IMG] & [​IMG]
    There are no dumb questions.

5. dwegg

dwegg Chillin' With My Peeps

eggcactly! There are NO dumb questions...I was thinking just the opposite with mine the other day. Wouldn't it be warmer tucked up together in the pine shavings in the corner someowhere rather than sitting up on the roost near the windows?

P.S. I am ADDICTED to this site! Thanks to everyone I have learnt so much.

6. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    [​IMG] dwegg
    Nice people nice place!

7. Amyable

Amyable Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Greenleaf, WI
    [​IMG] TKS!! You're getting 4 eggs a day from 3 hens? Dang!!! (what's your secret?)

8. TKS

TKS New Egg

Dec 9, 2009
    Waynesboro, MS
    Amyable..........We could not believe our 1st year egg production from these hens. We fed them regular 16% feed and that is all. We spent most of our summer trying to give away all the surplus eggs from just 3 hens.

I have a 10ft long, 3 ft wide run with a 3x3 enclosed nesting area above the end of the run, just a typical Chicken Tractor. I figured that the hot nights sent them out but they have not gone back to roosting even though there has been some cold weather.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by