New to the site

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Chenry51, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Chenry51

Chenry51 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2016
    Greenville sc
    I have just purchased 2 chickens i have an amaracuna rooster 4 weeks old and an all purpuse giant black hen 2 days old i have family that has done this aslong as i can remember im really excited to get into it my self if anyone has any info on the amaracuna rooster it would definitely be my first question thanks

2. OrganicFarmWife

OrganicFarmWife Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2015
    No where Nebraska
    Welcome! Look for the Amaracuna thread, they can tell you everything you want to know. Also be sure it is a Amaracuna, you could have an Easter Egger if you just got him from the feed store.
    I have two EE hens, they are very sweet.

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and [​IMG] - glad that you could join us.

The Learning Centre is a great resource, even for experienced chicken keepers - loads of info on anything chicken. https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Joining your state thread may be useful as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - just type the name of your state in the search box.

All the best
    CT

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    If you got your birds from a feed store, they will be Easter eggers regardless of what they call them. Easter eggers are a mixed breed , very popular and generally lay pastel egg pink, tan or green (hence their name).

5. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

If you're going to keep a rooster, I'd encourage you to get more hens. The recommended ratio is 1 rooster to 10 hens, otherwise, the hen may be over-bred and injuries occur.

Thanks for joining us!

6. Chenry51

Apr 1, 2016
    Greenville sc
    Thanks yall

7. Chenry51

Apr 1, 2016
    Greenville sc
    I had another question i did buy both of them at the feed store my hen i bought the lasy told me ahe was an all purpose hen called a"giant black hen" if anyone know about that

8. OrganicFarmWife

OrganicFarmWife Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2015
    No where Nebraska
    Could they have meant a Jersey Giant? Maybe a mutt

9. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC. :frow

10. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming

If you can post a picture of the hen on this forum, they can help you with identifying the breed (read the picture guidelines first):
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by