New to the site!

Nicci80

In the Brooder
Jun 2, 2023
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I'm new to cchickens. I moved in with my boyfriend last August, and inherited his chickens when I did.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

I sadly have 4 now, down from about 15. We have away about 5 roosters, and as spring cane about, our free range chickens have gotten picked off by foxes. The BF's ex never fixed the coop, and him as a newly single dad with 3 active sons had made fixing it difficult. We're working on it so we can bolster our flock again.

(3) What breeds do you have?
We have a naked neck, two RIR and an Amaricauna (sp).

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

I love having fresh eggs. I also love having them as pets and watching them roam around and learning their personalities.
(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

My bf and I do medieval reenactment for a world wide organization. Other than that, I also currently go to school for CSI, but I am thinking of switching to vet tech the more I work in the vet field.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

Thank you for the welcome! We have a coop and enclosure that needs a roof and the door fixed. I want a safe place that we can have the chickens to go to at night. During the day, they're pretty safe. They hang with the horses and donkey, which keep them safe from predators. It's at night they're getting picked off, despite roosting on a tall tree. Our roster, Curry, wasn't great at protecting the ladies since he was a very young roo, and at the bottom of the pecking order when we had multiple roos. The 4 surviving hens stay together, abs know that there is safety in numbers, thankfully. We have a good bit of electric tape from the horses, so we might have to try that one the enclosure gets fixed. Ty for the suggestion!

Thank you for the welcome! We have a coop and enclosure that needs a roof and the door fixed. I want a safe place that we can have the chickens to go to at night. During the day, they're pretty safe. They hang with the horses and donkey, which keep them safe from predators. It's at night they're getting picked off, despite roosting on a tall tree. Our roster, Curry, wasn't great at protecting the ladies since he was a very young roo, and at the bottom of the pecking order when we had multiple roos. The 4 surviving hens stay together, abs know that there is safety in numbers, thankfully. We have a good bit of electric tape from the horses, so we might have to try that one the enclosure gets fixed. Ty for the suggestion!
They shouldn't be roosting in the trees at night , can you get them in the coop instead?

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I'm new to cchickens. I moved in with my boyfriend last August, and inherited his chickens when I did.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
I sadly have 4 now, down from about 15. We have away about 5 roosters, and as spring cane about, our free range chickens have gotten picked off by foxes. The BF's ex never fixed the coop, and him as a newly single dad with 3 active sons had made fixing it difficult. We're working on it so we can bolster our flock again.

(3) What breeds do you have? We have a naked neck, two RIR and an Amaricauna (sp).

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
I love having fresh eggs. I also love having them as pets and watching them roam around and learning their personalities.
(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
My bf and I do medieval reenactment for a world wide organization. Other than that, I also currently go to school for CSI, but I am thinking of switching to vet tech the more I work in the vet field.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
Welcome to BYC!!

Back
Top Bottom