new to the site

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by larry rizzo, Dec 11, 2011.

1. larry rizzo

larry rizzo New Egg

Dec 11, 2011
    just wanted to take a bit and intro myself, im 70 yrs old and have had a hobby garden all my life, as i retired a few yrs ago, i went into raising as much veggies as i could and sell them, so far i havent made any money at it yet, but i am having a lot of fun and meeting a ton of people , as for the chickens well i have had chickens before, not knowing a thing about raising them, housing etc, i ''free ranged them'' i had bought them at the local hardware store in the spring, i had about 5 of them, well they where really cool, and i was starting to really like them a lot,, until i came home from work one day, and my garden was in shambles, i had abouy 50 tomato plants and what they didnt peck on and see if they liked it before they moved on to the next tomato, they trampled it, so there wasnt a tomato left that was worth anything, and everyplant was trampled down, well as i said they where '' free ranged'' i hate to admit it, but i went out there and one by one i got them ready for the stove, id get one, and the rest would fly off,, but after a bit they would come back and roost on the same spot, and then i would get another, until i had them all ready for the pot,, well i did it again a few yrs later , this time i built a coup not a good one, but it had a roof that didnt leak and they could roost etc, but it had a few ''small gaps'' in it,, well in the fall of that yr they all got themselves killed,,, something got in coup,, a weeasel im told, and killed them all,,this time, im looking to raise maybe 50- 60 chicks , rather ambishes for a guy thats only had 5 at a time and so far always lost them one way or another,, but im hoping iv learned a little,, and also to come to a place like this ,, and make sure i do it right this time,, thnaks for reading all of my babbilling on here , i did need to admit that i have a lot to learn, instaed of just plunging ahead with out any kind of plan larry

2. kcjones

kcjones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Hello Larry [​IMG] I have given up on keeping the chickens out of the small garden i have for greens. I have had a garden for years , first year with chickens.I have planter boxes on the porch now, they got everything else [​IMG] I'm sure you will find all the best advice on chickens here [​IMG]

3. cva34

cva34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Van Vleck ,TX
    WELCOME you'r at the right place.Lotsa info and great people...cva34

4. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Welcome larry to BYC [​IMG]

Chickens can surely be tough on a garden - I fence mine out a much as I fence them in.

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG]

6. CountryRoosterUSA

CountryRoosterUSA Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] from N.W. Tennessee [​IMG]
    Glad you joined up !

7. S&N Livestock

S&N Livestock Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    southern ohio
    [​IMG] from Ohio

8. CheerioLounge

CheerioLounge Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    California High Desert
    [​IMG] from Twentynine Palms in the California high desert!

Warning: BYC can become seriously addicting!! [​IMG]

9. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG]

Imp

10. checoukan

checoukan Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2011
    Columbus, Ks.
    [​IMG] from Kansas!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by