New to the site

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Black Aussie, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Black Aussie

Black Aussie Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2012
    Hi, everyone I'm new here.
    This looks like a interesting fun site.
    I have a mix of different breeds of chickens, a great husband and fun daughter, two dogs, eight cats on 12 acres Surrounded by 500+ acres of BLM.
    Does anyone know where I could buy some adult Easter egg hens, it's pretty cold where I live and would gather not handle chicks until Spring.
    Thank you.

2. dreamcatcherarabians

dreamcatcherarabians Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Stillwater
    I'd look in my local Craigslist ads to see if you can find a local farmer who breeds or has some extras he'd be willing to sell. I realllllly don't like introducing new birds to an established flock because of pecking and possible diseases but there are others on this site who do it all the time, so that's really just a personal choice. We have bird auctions in several places here in the state, do you have anything like that? If you look in the "Where Am I? Where Are You?" Forum here, you can probably find posters from your home state who can point you in the right direction.

Good Luck! [​IMG] And Howdy y'all!

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    [​IMG]

You can try the Buy ~ Sell ~ Trade here as well. Introducing new chickens to an established flock can get interesting, but we do it all the time. There will probably be some bullying and pecking as the flock's pecking order gets reestablished, but they should settle down soon. Just make sure you quarantine the new birds for at least 4 weeks first to make sure they do not carry anything nasty that can spread to your birds. I didn't and my flock of over 100 got worms AND mites. Lesson learned!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by